RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Colorizing black and white photos critique please

Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 PM

Re: Colorizing black and white photos critique ple

A few things I noticed:

The biggest thing I noticed was that you didn't color the carpet or curtains under the chair. That was the first thing that my eye went to.

Also as someone said earlier, the colors are very mismatched and distracting.

Along some borders especially the right shoe, leg, and where the dress meets skin seem to not be colored enough, the hue seems wierd to me.

The left arm seems to have too much yellow/red, even though the shadows are there and it should be darker than the right arm, i don't feel the hue is appropriate entirely.

Since the chair in the picture is most apparently not new(at time of shoot) I'm not sure having it such a clean white color is natural.

The overall tone of her skin seems in some way weird to me. Perhaps not enough saturation or not the right color. I might try removing a tad of cyan from her hair and maybe bumping up red a tiny tiny bit, and the hat or ribbon on her head, the left side seems a bit light, maybe the color is overriding the shadow a bit it seems.

Overall I might try turning down the saturation on the background entirely, it makes the woman seem very washed out. Especially the carpet. I also get the feeling her shoes might have been of a more similar hue to the carpet, but that's just my eye and I might be wrong.

Anyways, just glanced it over and caught a few things I might have done differently. Hope some of that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit27 View Post
A few things I noticed:

The biggest thing I noticed was that you didn't color the carpet or curtains under the chair. That was the first thing that my eye went to.

Also as someone said earlier, the colors are very mismatched and distracting.

Along some borders especially the right shoe, leg, and where the dress meets skin seem to not be colored enough, the hue seems wierd to me.

The left arm seems to have too much yellow/red, even though the shadows are there and it should be darker than the right arm, i don't feel the hue is appropriate entirely.

Since the chair in the picture is most apparently not new(at time of shoot) I'm not sure having it such a clean white color is natural.

The overall tone of her skin seems in some way weird to me. Perhaps not enough saturation or not the right color. I might try removing a tad of cyan from her hair and maybe bumping up red a tiny tiny bit, and the hat or ribbon on her head, the left side seems a bit light, maybe the color is overriding the shadow a bit it seems.

Overall I might try turning down the saturation on the background entirely, it makes the woman seem very washed out. Especially the carpet. I also get the feeling her shoes might have been of a more similar hue to the carpet, but that's just my eye and I might be wrong.

Anyways, just glanced it over and caught a few things I might have done differently. Hope some of that helps.
Hi Biskit,

Many thanks for your critique, I appreciate any critique whether good or bad.

Both the carpets and the curtains has been colourized.

Looking from my monitor the colours look enough to me.

The chair is colourized a lightish blue and not pure white.

The skin look ok from my monitor, i am still concentrating on learning colourizing black and white photo and my main priority is learning to colourize realistic skin, the others stuff such as dress, walls, furnitures i shall learn later on.

It looks like one of us need to calibrate our computer, I am sorry all what you critique I cannot see from my monitor, but i do appreciate any critique.

many thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 AM

Thumbs down Re: Colorizing black and white photos critique ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
Hi Biskit,

Many thanks for your critique, I appreciate any critique whether good or bad.

Both the carpets and the curtains has been colourized.

Looking from my monitor the colours look enough to me.

The skin look ok from my monitor, i am still concentrating on learning colourizing black and white photo and my main priority is learning to colourize realistic skin, the others stuff such as dress, walls, furnitures i shall learn later on.

It looks like one of us need to calibrate our computer, I am sorry all what you critique I cannot see from my monitor, but i do appreciate any critique.

many thanks

helen
I took the time to leave a comment with my opinion because I appreciated the people years ago who took the time to teach me. You're snide reply doesn't make it apparent that you're wanting true critiques and comments, as is made more evident by your top and bottom padding with how much you 'enjoy any critique.' My critique wasn't "good or bad" it was simply a collection of opinions on how you might consider trying things.

I probably would leave you to your own demise if it wasn't for the fact that your reply annoyed me.

"Both the carpets and the curtains has been colourized."

No, in fact, both the carpet AND curtains are still black and white in large spots. Under/behind the chair. I've circled in red the areas of which I am speaking. In fact even in an area that you have colored, there is a spot that you haven't colored in completely.

I don't see the need to nitpick at word selection, and I don't think that's the point of posting your work. The chair is too clean looking in the context of the picture. THAT'S THAT. A chair in the obvious state that it's in(with ragged spots) logically would be at least slightly grimy and at least an off-white. Also just because you used a slightly blue/cyan color in photoshop to paint the chair doesn't mean that the color will not be interpreted by those who view the picture as a bright white, ESPECIALLY in the context of the entire picture.

To try and say 'you're learning to color 'realistic skin' and you'll worry about other things later' is ludicrous. Whatever it is you are coloring from black and white, the skill set is one package. Understanding and being able to recreate the tone of skin is the same skill set as understanding and recreating the tones of foliage or the carpets or curtains, each has it's own characteristics, but the key is learning to remember, visualize, and recreate the colors of life.

Lightening Round: I have circled in red:

You were messy on her forehead where you painted her face with the pink of her bow/hat.

Where her dress meets the chair, right under her hand, you didn't color the wall. You left it black and white.

There was some slight damage on the original and I see you tried your best to fix it, alas the tassel behind her back was improperly retouched and its misshapen and blurry. The crease in the curtain has disappeared into a blob.

I'm on my way out so that's al I'll get into. Not sure I'll be replying again seeing as you don't appear to want any true critique. Perhaps before you try and recreate skintone you should learn how to resize a brush and color within the lines.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM

I was in a hurry a forgot to attatch my reference pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badretouch.jpg (84.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques