Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Trying to improve

Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Re: Trying to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
Trowa,

The blow up reviles a lot more to the face. And depending on the format your going to be using this picture in, you may want to keep doing a bit more evening on the face. Like if the picture is going to be blown up I would do a bit more. Specifically the parts in red below. There may be more but those pop out to me. If this is going to be an 8-10, I don’t think they would show.

D&B is a pain. Every time you zoom out, you see the next uneven part. It seems like a never ending process, but in the end its worth it.

Just being nitt picky,
-Keven
Thanks for the feedback I'll definitely work on those spots, I just want it to be as good as I can get it. Most likely it will be in multiple formats and I don't want the digital copy to reveal any flaws the print out masks. Thanks again for highlighting those spots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 AM

I just learned this technique to more easily see uneven skin problems. I learned it from the video talked about HERE

Two black filled layers in a folder
One set to color blending mode
The other set to overlay (more powerful) or soft light blending mode

(turn the folder on and off to show hide)

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
I just learned this technique to more easily see uneven skin problems. I learned it from the video talked about HERE

Two black filled layers in a folder
One set to color blending mode
The other set to overlay (more powerful) or soft light blending mode

(turn the folder on and off to show hide)

-Keven
I'm downloading the video now, thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Trowa,
You have made very good improvements and the larger image allows us to evaluate them much better. You mentioned that "I just want it to be as good as I can get it". I am concerned that with the original image size and scale, the skin may be good enough. There is always that trade off between image size, what you're getting paid to do, and the eventual loss of a natural look. An image cropped as shown above (with a lot of background) may not need so much attention to the face/skin. More attention to lighting, background, distractions, depth of field, etc may also be needed.

Just a thought, and of course we do not know how you plan to eventually crop the image. If you plan to turn it into more of a head shot, then certainly keep working on the skin. But, without that, examine more of the image as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 AM

Smile Re: Trying to improve

first picture- I don't know if it's just me, but I would love to see maybe a darker feel to the whole picture, perhaps something lomo-esque or something with more intense contrasts, the entire image feels too 'bright' to me. Also I agree with an earlier reply that suggests you work a bit more on the subtle tone differences in the jacket and hat, both seem a bit flat.

second- Don't know what exactly you're trying to achieve with the feel of it, personally I might try to lower the saturation of the background a bit and maybe try bumping up the individual colors in her shirt. Also the shadows on the right eye and temple seem to me to be a little too dark, maybe see if lightening that a little bit might look better? Also another tiny thing I saw was she has a few small creases on her neck that I would try removing or lightening a bit with just a simple dodge.

A reply earlier said 'Push, push, push.' While they didn't give any specific recommendation as to what to do, I don't disagree with the comment, both images seem like they might be VERY interesting with some more work, but both do seem to have come straight from raw. Both images are great bases to work off of to create a piece of very intense art, I just don't know if you've really discovered where you want to go with either just yet.

Anyways, just a few random things I noticed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM

I like your direction. You have a good eye for color and balance imho.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
I like your direction. You have a good eye for color and balance imho.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Trowa,
You have made very good improvements and the larger image allows us to evaluate them much better. You mentioned that "I just want it to be as good as I can get it". I am concerned that with the original image size and scale, the skin may be good enough. There is always that trade off between image size, what you're getting paid to do, and the eventual loss of a natural look. An image cropped as shown above (with a lot of background) may not need so much attention to the face/skin. More attention to lighting, background, distractions, depth of field, etc may also be needed.

Just a thought, and of course we do not know how you plan to eventually crop the image. If you plan to turn it into more of a head shot, then certainly keep working on the skin. But, without that, examine more of the image as well.
Thanks for the insight, I think on both of these photos I got kind of fixated on working the face and forgot about the rest so I will make a better effort on the rest of the photo as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques