RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Trying to improve

Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Trying to improve

Hi I'm trying to improve my work and any advice/tips would be appreciated.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/...573f707d_b.jpg

This next one is still a work in progress.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/...989b4b8f_b.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 282_Together Small.jpg (80.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 020_Together Small.jpg (83.4 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Trowa; 01-21-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Photo Update
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Re: Trying to improve

hey how do you retouch your photo's?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Trowa,

You have done a really clean job on the face. Improvements could be to better master body D&B.

The second one, looks good but could be polished off a bit more. Her jacket is dirty on the lapel. A hair sticking out of her right arm and some specks on the umbrella.

Overall I really like what you have done, its easy going on my eyes. The blue in the second one, is that an overlay or a white balance shift?

Good job,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Trowa,
On the first one, I prefer a small bit more light revealed under the hat. You may also want to work separately on the clothing and reveal more color/sat on those subtle tones.

I agree with Kevin on the second. The overall increase in blue leaves a peculiar tone to the image. It just doesn't seem natural. If that's the intent, it's fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff View Post
hey how do you retouch your photo's?
I'm not sure if you would like to know the program I use or the technique but I will try to answer both. I use Photoshop CS3 and I use its Camera Raw for some of the color correcting,white balance,etc. As for the retouching I mostly use the healing brush and than dodge and burn using an overlay layer filled with a neutral gray. Occasionally I use some adjustment layers here and there.

Last edited by Trowa; 01-24-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
Trowa,

You have done a really clean job on the face. Improvements could be to better master body D&B.

The second one, looks good but could be polished off a bit more. Her jacket is dirty on the lapel. A hair sticking out of her right arm and some specks on the umbrella.

Overall I really like what you have done, its easy going on my eyes. The blue in the second one, is that an overlay or a white balance shift?

Good job,
-Keven
Thanks Keven, I was so preoccupied with the face on both pics that I completly neglected the body. As for the blue tint on the second one it was a shift in the white balance I intentionally made in camera raw. The original image just was too overblown for my taste and the look my friends photographer said she was going for, I wanted to move it more towards one of those bright overcast days that we have in California rather than really try to explain how that works I'll leave it at that. Really if I remember right it was a very hot day and the jacket and the umbrella were very out of place, except maybe for keeping the sun off of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Trowa,
On the first one, I prefer a small bit more light revealed under the hat. You may also want to work separately on the clothing and reveal more color/sat on those subtle tones.

I agree with Kevin on the second. The overall increase in blue leaves a peculiar tone to the image. It just doesn't seem natural. If that's the intent, it's fine.
Hi, TommyO
I didn't notice how dark it had gotten underneath the hat until I put the original and the retouch onto one pic, I hoped nobody would notice but you're right its something I should address, thank you.

Although I was going for that kind of blue tone, the blue around the trees has always bothered me a little, I think if anything I will have to find some way to minimize that effect. Unfortunately its from the recovery and white balance in camera raw so it may be more complicated than just masking out parts on an adjustment layer. I suppose I could put a copy of the original underneath and use a reduced opacity brush around that kind of blue outline the tone is casting around the trees.

Last edited by Trowa; 01-24-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 PM

There is not enough of an improvement for me to care. Push, push, push. They are both bland images. Make me want to look at them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 PM

This should make it easier to see since the reduced image size on flickr cut out most of the details:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3396/...1e2608da_b.jpg

I added the little attachment just as a preview
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cut2.jpg (68.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w23 View Post
There is not enough of an improvement for me to care. Push, push, push. They are both bland images. Make me want to look at them.
Yeah I appreciate that you took the time to comment but "Push, push push." doesn't mean much of anything in terms of steps towards improving the retouch. You might want to read through the "Guidelines - Required Reading before posting!" section though. http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/cri...e-posting.html
If I was looking for a simple "I like or I don't like" kind of response I would not have posted here. I'm looking for feedback I can use to make actual steps forward. If you had said, "do such and such on the D & B layer or try this adjustment layer" or something that was an actual directive it would have been helpful but if I want to know if people in general like it I've no problem nor a shortage of random people to ask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Trowa,

The blow up reviles a lot more to the face. And depending on the format your going to be using this picture in, you may want to keep doing a bit more evening on the face. Like if the picture is going to be blown up I would do a bit more. Specifically the parts in red below. There may be more but those pop out to me. If this is going to be an 8-10, I don’t think they would show.

D&B is a pain. Every time you zoom out, you see the next uneven part. It seems like a never ending process, but in the end its worth it.

Just being nitt picky,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3222296047_fc1e2608da_b-KA.jpg (96.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-24-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques