RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first retouching on forum

Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Lightbulb My first retouching on forum

Hi Guys, Been looking over this forum for time and thought I would put some of my own stuff on... let me know what you think.

Old 2 young

Model - Before

Model - After

Cheers Ben.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM

Re: My first retouching on forum

Anyone want 2 comment?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 AM

b3nbish,
First, welcome to RP and I certainly hope more folks respond to your post ! Sometimes, it just takes longer than you think, and the ratio of comments to views can easily be 1 in 100.

Looking at the first one (old2young), it's a descent first attempt. I do have some concern with the face, as it seems very rushed. Much of the new color and features have been changed along with a loss of detail. There wasn't much detail there to begin with, so it must be preserved. It's funny just how sensitive our eyes/brain are to the most subtle details. If it looks just a little bit off, everyone will notice.

Also, unfortunately the cloning/healing where the necklace had been is not that good either.

If it's a quick job for personal use and neither of you care, then it's probably fine. But, if you are trying to work toward a realistic output for a customer, then it must be done with more attention to detail.

Regarding the yellow jacket images, I am fine with you have done, at least where intent is concerned. I didn't see many huge changes other than contrast and shadows. Those are hard to say anything about, as they are very subjective/personal. One skin tone change that caught my eye was on the right side of her neck (her left). That area does not look right - it looks like you forgot a stroke with the pen.

Thanks for posting, sorry we took so long to get here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 AM

The first thing to remember. Everyone who smiles have those creases arround the mouth and next to the nose. It's like her face is stratched to a smile...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM

i like the new colors and feel of the picture. i think the light/shadow on her eyelids are reaaaally nice.

here is some comments in general. all with the best intensions:

try to look more at the whole picture, not just her face, skin and eyes

there is lots of dustspecs on the background. clean them up

she has a halo where the new and old background density meets. on a little pic you might not see it that well but imagine this was for a big poster or something. then it stands out a lot and its a common mistake. ALWAYS check your layer masks!!! that goes for all of us.

i think her eyes are now too white compare to the original and i personally would prefer something in between. it looks a bit too fake, at least for this kind of picture. on a glamor shot it would work better.

get rid of tone down some of the lines/ shapes on her neck.

maybe even out her lip colors a bit more. its a bit random at the moment.

a bit more contrast/ shine in the hair might look nice too
also remember to go over her clothes and get rid of some bumps and creases if it looks really bad.

but hey.. its not bad for a first try..
keep practicing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellow-Jacket-1.jpg (91.5 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM

when you are retouching on a photograph say you are trying to get rid of a spot and then you are healing it, after you got rid of the spot there is a big round circle. can anyone help me get rid of the circle?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 PM

Ehm. Do u have any examples?

Try to have the brush size around the same size as the spot. U shouldn't get a circle. Make sure u don't go to near any edges cause it will leak.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 AM

Use patch tool. Is alot better than healing brushes
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 PM

When I want to be subtle (most of the time) I use clone at about 20% and get rid of the flaw a little at a time. I like to soften moles rather than get rid of them or leave them stark. Clone at at partial opacity works well for leaving the permanent feature but making it less prominent. I usually work on a copy layer and if it looks like I've done a little too much, I reduce the opacity to about 50%. Guess I reduce opacity a lot! I must admit to using patch hardly at all. Need to practice on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 PM

The model picture you chose was already completely retouched, try to pick a non-retouched picture to learn on. Things to look for in a picture that would be good for practice include stray hairs, background cleanup, acne removal, and pictures that need subtle body reshaping.

If you're serious about retouching professionally, work in much larger sizes. As for the Old to Young piece, very interesting. I really like the way that you moved her eyes slightly and the color of the blush that you added (too heavily), but the nose looks obviously altered. After an area's been warped too much, it gets blurry and loses detail. If you MUST distort it that much, I suggest sharpening the nose later with a high pass filter enough that it matches the rest of the image again.

The skin texture looks too smooth in the after version. She had such a tiny amount of skin detail in the before, you have to be very careful in how much you remove. You went a bit too far there, but in surprising contrast you didn't touch the wrinkles in the neck, leading to a very confusing image. The viewer will either conclude that she's wearing thick makeup and has a large black mole on her neck or this picture has been digitally altered.

I'd remove the background completely, it adds nothing. Here's my take on making her younger, but I'm too lazy to remove the background. Keep practicing, I'm looking forward to seeing your next stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (96.7 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques