Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Beginner's Extreme Retouch. Critiques Encouraged

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Re: Beginner's Extreme Retouch. Critiques Encourag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioRetouchPRO View Post
I got that feeling, but I wasn't insulted by it. I just understood the gist of the statement.
no, I meant what u did on the model.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 PM

Seen from a retouch perspective it's very well done and shows off some of your skills. I like it (and im not talking ethically here).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Nice result, but not the same person.

Although I'm going against the grain, the result you obtained has little to do with a retouch, more like drastic Michael Jackson plastic surgery . . . but with a more appealing conclusion. A family member would not recognize the end image.

I realize that tabloids often obtain images from paparazzi and make them better or worse, depending on their fictitious story, however, most keep the features that makes up the individual, otherwise where is the lead in to the story?

If your goal was to just make an attractive woman, without regards to the original, you done well. Long story made short . . . "whatever floats your boat".
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 AM

I see what you mean. I figured that drastically altering the woman's appearance while trying to make her attractive was the next step above just airbrushing her skin and tweaking the levels. Since I don't have a lot of experience I wanted to see how far I could push it without getting too "in over my head". But yes, you're right, the way I'll need to treat an image that I'm working on will depend of the kind of job or the purpose for the retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 AM

The bridge of the nose looks completely different. The millimeter difference between the eyes appears to be changed in such a way that you would have used the clone tool to move the right eye completely. And you claim to be an amateur. No dude, I am an amateur and this seems to be a joke! Too well done, for an amateur.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 AM

You're right about the bridge of the nose and the distance between the eyes. For things like that, I like to use the "liquify" filter. There are a lot of changes on the original that are so small and subtle I wonder why I even toiled over them when they won't be visible. It's all good practice, but I know the industry wants us to be able to do what we do really quickly. I need to improve on that.
I only consider myself an amateur because i'm new to retouching. But I am a trained artist with an undergraduate degree in painting, so I have a decent understanding of form, color, texture, light, shadow, and perspective. :-P I pretty much need to learn about the software and the retouching industry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 AM

nice job with the reshaping. You have a good eye for what the form should look like!

I for one might be interested in occasionally hiring you just for the liquefy work. It's enough to save your "mesh" and send that as the final work product.

-dennison

www.dennisonbertram.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks Dennison! I took a look at your website and I was impressed. Yeah, if you would ever like to work together just shoot me an e-mail, I'm up for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKER View Post
more like drastic Michael Jackson plastic surgery . . . but with a more appealing conclusion. A family member would not recognize the end image.
Way Different than a Michael Jackson thing..!

It is a fairly drastic "weight loss" change. I put the first up.. went outside came back after a bit and I had the retouched on the other monitor with the first off but could see a resemblence -- Was like not seeing a person for a pretty good while. Kinda like she was from a small mid-west town, went to live in the big city, and came back with the big city look

Looking at the two side by side there is definately a differance -- Nice work

Lloyd - -<
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks Lloyd, that's an interesting way to think about it. It's really helpful for me too, to put something on screen and then walk away from it just so I can look at it with a fresh set of eyes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques