Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

HI!!! I'm new here....

Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Newbie HI!!! I'm new here....

Hi!!! my name is Ati, I'm originally from Argentina but I live in Las Vegas, I've been practicing some retouching for a few month now, but i loose it sometimes...i don't see some stuff ...
let me know what you think
I appreciatte it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Re: HI!!! I'm new here....

Ati, welcome to RetouchPRO

As far as I can see from this low res sample you have done a fine job... except.. I think this girl has the hairiest arm pits I have ever seen... If I were retouching for publication I think I would clean up the pits by removing the hair.

You can post a fairly large pictures which is under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
This may also help some... How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads?(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image on your own site or elsewhere and attach a link, but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Alternative Image Hosts if you do not have your own site are: (3Meg max, free) or (2Meg max, free) or (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO) or (100 Meg per file) ... then post a link here in the thread to the site that is hosting your larger image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Smile Re: HI!!! I'm new here....

Thank you sooo much...i'll post a bigger version and other work for gets a little bit to get used to how it works..
thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM

Overall not bad.
A couple issues though:

First, you need to be VERY careful when you're working with skin that you not alter the perceived ethnicity. Lightening the skin too much, or over flattening features by "softening" the light can go very wrong very easily. I tend to decrease contrast on Caucasian and Asian skin tones, and increase it on Latin and African skin tones.

Second, and in the same vein. Altering the shape of a face is a very dangerous thing to do. In this example, recontouring the jaw has exaggerated the width of her chin giving her a slightly Jay Leno look. I recommend to anyone who wants to learn to change the face shape to make a serious study of skeletal and muscular construction in the face, when altering any part of the human face, you need to bring the rest of the face back into balance with the change. Also make note of key structural differences between different ethnicities, and keep those in mind.

The others are kind of nit picky, and the big ones should have been corrected at the photography stage. The eye makeup is uneven, making her right eye look lazy. The hair should definitely be hidden under the purple scarf thing. You can see the natural brown eye color under the blue contacts, they could be blacked out, making the pupils nice and big. The eyes are slightly oversharpened and overbrightened, remember that you can brighten the iris quite a bit, but that you shouldn't overdo the white of the starts to look creepy.

You're doing fairly well, keep it up. Just remember that if you can tell it's been retouched, it's been retouched too much.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM

this was really helpful Michael, I preciate it!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques