RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Could you critic that!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 AM

Re: Could you critic that!

I do the white as a signature :p and I change of style once in a while, at that moment I love the picture with smooth faces and stuffs like that.

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 PM

I think they are good attempts.

I am in no way a retoucher so I can't give you advanced Critique but I have paid for retouch work before so I am giving my 2 pennies worth from a customers point of view (I am also a photographer if that gives me any credibility haha).

I like the first one, but the last one I dislike the faces, they look really overblown and there is no texture whatsoever it has gone from skin to plastic and I think retouching shouldn't be as noticeable as that. It makes the light hitting the face very uneven but then again it's one opinion but I know customers of mine who have asked for retouching want minor changes

What method do you use? are you doing it by hand or just using actions/filters etc;
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM

I was thinking the white rings should be your watermark =D By the way, the glamour effect you're applying t your edits is quite over saturated. You can get a better result if you avoid the oversaturation. I know you like how you're doing it so far, but, for this kind of business you must aim much, much more higher than the shown here. Being very meticulous atediting and very measured with the editing as well, trying to get an image which looks perfect in all the meanings, which means very well balanced in tones, light and shadows, composition, forms and shapes. It must be perfect, and for that, the retoucher's eye must be the same. That cannot be taught, is learnt by experience. Take a look to www.shiftstudio.com and get fun. That guy is great at retouch.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 PM

On the first one. I like the direction you went with it. Be aware of catchlights in the eyes. The ones in the pupils are fine but there is some strange stuff happening with the ones in ther colors of her eyes.

I like the brightness you added but be aware of too much brightness around the edlges of the photos that will lead a viewers eye out of the frame instead of into the center of the image. Especially the bright one on her in the bottom right.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 AM

Thumbs up Re: Could you critic that!

Thanks for all the replies, I will try to change my way to retouch photos a little bit, a man model sent me 5 photos of him to retouch. I'll do them and see what he thinks about my job, maybe I could get into this job. I will continue to do it for free. Cause I've seen on some websites $30 for a photo retouch and sometimes even $75, what the hell is that?

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 AM

Don't like the rings, they draw too much attention away from the subject. Make sure you photos still resemble a real life person unless your just going for that kind of look. I am a newb too so I'm just giving you some points of veiw from my perspective. If I post up later feel free to lend me a critique or two.

Keep it up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 AM

Btw quit doing photos for free your making people like me who wanna make abit of money off of this later look bad. :P

jk
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 AM

I'm really sorry, but I've decided to do it for FREE in order to be different from all the other websites of photo retouching. Some of them worth the fact to pay the price, but sometimes you are very disappointed with the result.

I need to drag a lot of people to my website in order to be famous. See all the free concepts are famous after a while: facebook, twitter, bebo…

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 AM

Hey RS,

I am walking up too early to laugh so hard, not at you but this is funny, but I like you.
First of all, being famous just ain't all that it's cracked up to be, trust me. Money is nice too but it can be a pain in the butt as well.
My suggestion is that you continue to hone your skill and take it to a level where you are happy with your work and pleasing others. You are doing well and on your way. Read what you can, keep the good stuff and forget the bad. Listen to people's advice, keep the good stuff and leave therest behind. If you are truly meant for this and the art world you will most likely find that you my friend are more harsh and throw more criticism upon your self than anyone else could even begin to lay upon you. If you can deal with that and move through those self-inflicted wounds you will be doing fine.
As far as doing stuff for free. I don't care what anyone says, you do what you need to do to learn but as soon as your ready move out of that world and start making your money for the dues you have payed. I always did my free photography work for models and companies that were starting as well. I ended up with nice portfolio work and they ended up with what they needed. Some of those people are still my best clients today.
Money and payed jobs will come but you are not making anyone look bad by doing what you need to do to progress. There will be some that say this over and over but usually a quick look at there work and dedication will leave you feeling alright with yourself.
Today, most of my most rewarding work is the volunteer work I do. As you progress in yoru work you will might find as I did that a fancy client list filled with big-shot names is nice but it won't compare to the feeling you get by helping the little guy and helping others move forward with there dreams.
Those who don't put the effort in as much as others will most likely remain stationed half-way down the ladder but there is always room at the top.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Hi Sweetlight,

You have written quite a long message for me, and I would like to thank you for that. As you said I have still a lot to learn from others, me and Photoshop. And people like you are the ones who make me want to continue to improve my skills.
You said I need to accept the critics; I am already trying to accept all the kinds of critics, even from my friends who do not know anything about Photoshop. And from the ones who know or pretend to know Photoshop in this forum. I am not afraid about critics; they are telling me what is wrong and what is good about my job.
I think that the art world is hard to live, you can have success from a day to another, and you can have flops after that. But I feel confident about that. There is always a solution to a problem what so ever.
Anyway I will continue to do what I do for free, even if it bothers some people. I do not care; we are free to do whatever we want.

Thanks Sweetlight, regards,

Here is a picture from the 6 I have received from a model. He asked me to edit his portfolio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 basic.jpg (59.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 001 edited.jpg (63.9 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques