Photo Retouch for comments

Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Photo Retouch for comments

Photo Retouch for comments, Tks!

http://IreneLaw.deviantart.com/art/P...ifer-129222899
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Thumbs up Re: Photo Retouch for comments

Wow Irene -- I'm so impressed with this one. It's so satisfying to see the critiques everyone gives you utilized so well. Now I'm kind of annoyed because I wrote a looong critique and then accidently hit the "edit" button, of your message losing the entire thing, but I'll just view it as a rough draft >

I'll start with the GREAT use of selective sharpening! Great output sharpening, nice job not sharpening upper left hair (image exit), great job leading the eye, I'd back off the sharpening in her eyelid creases just slightly.

Good skin texture, I'm so glad to see you not blurring anymore. It doesn't look like dodge and burn, mind telling me what technique you used? The remaining skin detail is still there somewhat, but not razor sharp.

I really like the color of your improved version as well, but beware changing the skin color so much in a portrait. Also, there's a problem with how you've masked in the new bleached skin color. It looks like the reddish skin is still showing through behind her hair, like you didn't paint in that area. I'd recommend selecting the skin with something like the color range tool or alpha channel masking if you're capable.

I don't like how her light neck is forming a "slide" for the eye to exit the image at the south. A slight vignette would solve this problem, found under filter -> distort -> lens correction or in ACR.

I love seeing you turning into this high end retoucher, keep posting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 08:41 PM

Re: Photo Retouch for comments

Irene,
I am in agreement with Mike on selective use of sharpening, just a little less enthusiastic on the other elements.

My main concern (as Mike noted in one paragraph) is with the skin. This could simply be an issue with the quality and resolution of the original image; often the images are not good enough to lend themselves to a good retouch. However, there are numerous areas in which colors are not corrected up to adjacent objects, i.e. skin next to hair. In other areas, some skin problems, cloning issues, etc., have been overlooked or colored over. This is not one of your better retouches. It just seems like you went too fast.

My other concern is with the hair. You have carried a skin adjustment into the hair, which has resulted in lighter strands that are clipping and creating fringing. This is too noticeable to be acceptable to anyone. You will need to correct this.

I will attach a quick copy with some areas circled for you.

I would simply say, spend a little more time on the retouch, stay organized so some items don't slip through, and review it yourself at a higher magnification to see what you can find. Sorry, but I would rather be honest than mislead you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_Retouch__Jennifer_by_IreneLaw_critique_small.jpg (199.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 AM

Tommy speaks the truth.

A good tip is when you've cloned something away to have a look through your channels to see if the cloning went well. If I look at your blue channel then I can't help but notice the bad cloning. I've attached the bit where you cloned away the hairs on the left side of the face.

Also the skinwork is not great. It's extremely blotchy and uneven. Try adding a hue sat layer and desaturate the whole picture. Then punch the contrast a little and have a good look at the skin. I find that in this way I always see the skin way better. Then switch back to color and fix what you can. The way I do this is simple but timeconsuming. Using the quick mask brush at a low flow I just quickly select small patches of skin that have the same color/brightness (that is wrong) and the I make a curves adjustment for that patch so you can adjust the color/brightness. Do this for loads of little patches and that way you can gradually make the skin better.

For an example of what I mean look at this:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9..._DJSoulglo.jpg

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-3.jpg (77.8 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Law View Post
Commented directly on DeviantArt

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Hi, Mike, thanks so much for your kindly comments and advises. I learn many from you...

For the skin texture, i mainly use stamp and brush tool. But, this will make the image a bit blur. Then, i will try to use hi-pass layer to restore some texture in the area that i want. Actually, i don't really know the proper way in this area. (i'm just trying to fix it in my own way.) I saw some retouch works with a very refine and even skin texture (that's very nice, but a bit "unreal"), don't know how they work it out...

Again, thanks for taking time in showing me the techniques and encouraging me... will keep retouching for sure... ^^...

Hi, Tommy, thanks for your honest comments. Yes, you're right. Seems that I tend to get things done faster and faster while i'm doing the retouch work. I went fast unconsciously and overlooked many obvious mistakes. I understand you just want to be good to me. If I want to be a good retoucher and improve my skills, I should be more serious in my work and spend more time in reviewing. Thanks for taking time in showing me all these... Now, i'm slowingg... downnn... ^O^... Hope that i won't let u down next time....

Besides, do you have some great retouchers' web-sites or works to show me? I understand i'm still in a very beginning stage. Just want to study some great works and learn from them...

Hi, DJSouglo, thanks for your comments and advise too. You give me a very in-depth examine on my work. I should do the same thing during my next retouch work. ^^...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Hi, Godmother. That's you... ^^... Thanks!
I just looked at your great works too...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Law View Post
Besides, do you have some great retouchers' web-sites or works to show me? I understand i'm still in a very beginning stage. Just want to study some great works and learn from them...
There are many right here on RetouchPro; no need to look across the internet. Godmother (Natalia Taffarel) & Chris Tarantino each have websites (just Google them); many of the others may have websites, but often just post examples and tutorials here on RP (just look through the Retouch forum or tutorial section). Once you achieve their level, you will no longer need any advise or criticism.

Best of luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
There are many right here on RetouchPro; no need to look across the internet. Godmother (Natalia Taffarel) & Chris Tarantino each have websites (just Google them); many of the others may have websites, but often just post examples and tutorials here on RP (just look through the Retouch forum or tutorial section). Once you achieve their level, you will no longer need any advise or criticism.

Best of luck !
so here I'm one of the cool guys and in another thread i'm being called an idiot... funny world.

Irene, I do like what u do, u have good taste and u can't buy that. Just keep practicing.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Tommy, tks for your advise.

Godmother, tks for cheering me up. I will keep practicing for sure... ^^... Tks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques