Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Outdoor snapshot

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Outdoor snapshot

I'm pretty much a beginner at both digital SLR photography and photo retouching so any critique and suggestion is very much appreciated.
This is a photo of my girlfriend taken during our vacations. She's pregnant and I liked the pose in the picture. However, the lighting condition was not excellent and the original looked pretty flat and many detail were missing, especially in the highlights.
I used Canon Digital Photo Professional to produce different exposure settings from the same RAW file, then I tone mapped the HDR in Photomatix. For pixel editing and further enhancements I used Picture Window Pro.

A higher resolution version of the photo is available at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (96.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0609-1.jpg (94.3 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Re: Outdoor snapshot

While I like what you did with the background, I think you may need to further edit some of the effects on her. It appears that her skin has lost much of its natural tone, as has her hair. The dress is a bit more subjective, and could be however you prefer. Yet, some of the richness and gradient has been lost there.

If you have access to software that allows a bit more control over the image, such as masking, that may help you control the effects. I'm not familiar with Canon's PP capabilities, nor Picture Window Pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Re: Outdoor snapshot

Thanks for the comment TommyO.
I changed the red-dish colors hue a bit on purpose, because I thought the orange-ish tone of the skin and dress gave an uncomfortable light to the subject. Since this is one of my very first attempts, I may have exaggerated the correction making it look too artificial.
Picture Window Pro does indeed allow masking, in fact I used it a lot for this photo.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques