Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First time posting here

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM
First time posting here

Hi is my first time posting a retouch =] Its an older one and I have others in progress but I thought I would throw this out there so maybe some of you guys can see where I am and tell me where I can go.

My photoshop history: I've been using the program for about 4 years now so I really know my way around it...most of my "skill" has come through experimentation though tutorials are and have always been a blessing.

Anywho, heres a side by side. It is really just a "Lets see how far I can take this" project where I focused on using masks to move around hair and really tried keeping everything natural looking but still wanting to do a fair amount of editing.

Please maybe look past the coloring job, that too was to see how far I could go. I realize skin tones are probably way off as this is the first time I've ever tried to color a black and white photo.

Please be as harsh as possible lol =]
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Re: First time posting here

I think it looks pretty good, maybe a little strong. Welcome and looking forward to your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MiningArt View Post
I think it looks pretty good, maybe a little strong. Welcome and looking forward to your work.
I agree with mining art looks good but a little strong on skin color. I never colorized a b/w photo so I do not know what to suggest
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Hello Etha,

If you'd have done this for a friend I would imagine they would be quite content because it would be perceived as an improvement, however, a few personal sentiments.

It would appear that you used a sepia tone and colored from that point, seeing the tones are so similar. I think using the same or similar tint for the hair as you did for skin color does not give a realistic hair color or sheen. The same would apply to the lips. The upper background color being similar is also questionable in my opinion.
The eye color is a bit too pronounced and saturated when compared to the color and contrast used for most of the image.
I agree with comments about the skin color that has already been mentioned, basically a lack of other colors combinations. I also think you have a few blown out areas which are not apparent in the original.
Certain imperfections, in my mind, should not be eliminated to keep things real. I'm referring to the mole on her left lip corner which could have been lightened but not removed. This being a part of who she is. You also have what would appear to be a lip smear in this area.
On the area by her left ear there is a small masking overspill.
You also may want to check your monitor calibration.

Wish you the best.

Last edited by LQQKER; 09-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques