RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First time poster, time to stop being shy

Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM

First time poster, time to stop being shy

Very new to portrait retouching. Using PS cs4.

A little nervous to post. Thought I was making good progress with my learning until I started looking at this site and realized I have such a long way to go. A little discouraging but I'll keep moving forward.

I cant even see what I'm doing with this photo any more. Please offer CC... Thanks!

http://tophercon.deviantart.com/art/...ouch-137141238

Last edited by Tophercon; 09-15-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Re: First time poster, time to stop being shy

Definitely a very pretty model with captivating eyes.
I like it when retouching leaves some of the real person behind.
More natural and less plastic makes the world a more beautiful place.
That's coming from a restorer and not a retoucher.

You are off to a great start but others may disagree greatly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portrait_retouch_by_Tophercon3.jpg (85.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by aartist; 09-17-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM

I really like that you've kept all the little moles on her face. I don't like that it's oversharpened, the light on her face does now not match the background anymore, that there's almost no shape to her face anymore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM

thank god you didn't change the shape of her nose like so many others do!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM

well... you still need to polish a lot your skills and point of view.

Here is what you need to fix:

-moles/spots.
-eyes are too small.
-lips (still too dry).
-skin tone (specially in the neck).
-there are some dots in her skin that need to be fixed.
-face reshaping if you want to make her looking like a model.

If you just wanted to enhance the portrait, let say, for a family or the like it's enough but the skin needs to be color corrected because it has too much magenta, there are other little things like the shadows, which looks somehow greenish. You need to correct that, it's very important. You can also add some hair behind her ear, you have lot of useful hair from where to copy.

Okay, those are my cents.

Have a good day!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the cc everyone. I left the moles and some detail since it's just a portrait retouch. I have an Okay IPS monitor but it's not calibrated properly so I'm hoping that's the reason I can't see the green in the shadows and the bad color in the skin. The hair color is definitely strange. I'm hoping with time I'll be able to recognize these variations better.

The photo is from a local portrait photographer that's just starting out so the composition and lighting isn't that solid. I need to find some good quality images somewhere that I can practice on. I'll look through the threads, I assume there's some good resources.

thanks...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM

I like it, you should also redo the cleanup work on the left side next to her eye where you cloned out the stray hair, it looks tampered with.

I disagree with making the eyes larger though

If yer going for a fasion mag look that is one thing, if you are just trying to do a nice portrait picture i would just focus on cleaning up the skin and stray hairs, IMHO when you start altering the dimentions of the face you no longer have a pic of that person, but a pic of who you think they should be. So i guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with this image.

where in colorado are you located?

Littleton here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Here you can get cool RAW's to play with: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...s-retouch.html Also looking some of the retouchs people did with some of those pics.

For monitors and stuff better if you buy a Mac, is a must. I have bought an Apple Cinema and I was really amazed when I tryed it on Windows, but few months later, I bought a MacPro and it's just incredible. Mac for digital imaging is a must.

Also you can use the numbers to retouch the pic, which is also a very useful technique whichever the workstation you own.

Select the eyedropper and Ctrl/Cmd + left click some neutral area (not shadows not highlighst) in the face, then add a curves layer mask. Look at the info palette, you will see a little eyedropper icon which says RGB with the RGB numbers, click there and select CMYK. Now make sure your cyan is around 15% no more than that, Magenta should be 3 times higher than cyan and Yellow just a bit higher than Magenta. You change those values by adding or substracting RGB by altering the RGB channels in the curves adjustment layer.

Thes ecolors are complementary:

R/C
G/M
B/Y

When you raise red, cyan goes down, when you raise green, magenta goes down, etc. So that way you can retouch the skin tones.

By clicking on the aim cross do it by holding Ctrl/Cmd + left click, which means you will set that point into the curves adjustment layers, Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + Left Click will add that sample point to all channels and the composite channel inside the curves dialog box.

There is another retouch technique for the skin luminance which is about removing all the imperfections of the skin due it's "topography". The fast way is by duplicating the layer and selecting just the skin tones with the color range selection tool and erasing all that's not skin. Add a layer mask in order to keep just the skin in that duplicated layer and blur that layer by using smart blur. I think the values are about 10 px, cannot remember, but blur the layer till you get something very homogeneous. Then duplicate the background layer again and put it above the skin mask. Set the blend mode to vivid light and apply a highpass filter of about 1,0 or less. That will be useful to add some texture. You can play with the opacity value in order to get a better result or by using other blending modes such Overlay or Softlight. I find interesting desaturatin the layer which has the highpass thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Thanks Quantum for that link. Looks like some good images to work with. Also, thanks for the detailed instructions for skin adjustments.

I'm familiar with the curves by numbers but I didn't do it on this image cause I originally thought I was close but I'll give it a shot and try for something more natural.

I'm excited to try the skin luminance technique that you outlined. thank you for that.

Ripper - I'm in the good old town of Longmont over by Boulder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM

I think this image looks natural and fresh,could it be improved? yes but I think sometimes we need to learn when to pull back and not use all the tricks we have at our disposal.
A nice image.
Simon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques