RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Here's a selection of my work

Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Re: Here's a selection of my work

Ray, I did post a message and then after further thought deleted it.
I realized I may not know what I'm talking about. (Hard to believe.)
So, your math skills are still impeccable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 AM

Hi Steve

many thanks....not so sure about maths but I thought I was losing the plot!!...LOL

Once agaoin, many thanks for looking and I appreciated your comments.

You were spot on re the image....the original unsmudged version came from Brad Buttry and he used that in his teaching video so that we had something to compare and work against.

It was a superb image to use although the original looked very plain and required a lot of work.

It was fun to do and learn from.

With kind regards

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Hello Ray,

I've enjoyed your post for sometime now and I can see you place a lot of detail and preciseness in your work. I just wanted to mention a few things that I noticed that may be subjective to others, so I do not wish to offend.

On your first image with the two automobiles and five ladies, I find the perspective not to be accurate to my eyes in relation to the cars position. If you compare the automotive perspective you may notice the ladies in the background are somewhat out of proportion, a bit larger than life. Mainly the center model and the one on the viewers far right. The model with the red dress appears to be closer to the car than she could actually be. Also the automobiles themselves are not on the same perspective plane (which could amplify the above comments). If you compare the two being parked on the same flat area, you'll notice the viewers right cars front end is elevated in reference to where the rear tires are (I know, I'm probably overly verbose). The overall composition idea is very good.

The second image also has a perspective issue if you compare the automobile bumper with the area the model is standing on, unless that was your intention, this being a more fantasy type image. If so, ignore this comment.

On the bride and child, I'm not sure why there are the two black areas on the dress.

On the child portrait, I agree that the childs eyes are a bit brighter than what they should be, but this may simply be your preference, after all it is art and still compelling to look at.

Although all your images are very well done, my favorite, is the Santa image. I really like it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKER View Post
Hello Ray,

I've enjoyed your post for sometime now and I can see you place a lot of detail and preciseness in your work. I just wanted to mention a few things that I noticed that may be subjective to others, so I do not wish to offend.

On your first image with the two automobiles and five ladies, I find the perspective not to be accurate to my eyes in relation to the cars position. If you compare the automotive perspective you may notice the ladies in the background are somewhat out of proportion, a bit larger than life. Mainly the center model and the one on the viewers far right. The model with the red dress appears to be closer to the car than she could actually be. Also the automobiles themselves are not on the same perspective plane (which could amplify the above comments). If you compare the two being parked on the same flat area, you'll notice the viewers right cars front end is elevated in reference to where the rear tires are (I know, I'm probably overly verbose). The overall composition idea is very good.

The second image also has a perspective issue if you compare the automobile bumper with the area the model is standing on, unless that was your intention, this being a more fantasy type image. If so, ignore this comment.

On the bride and child, I'm not sure why there are the two black areas on the dress.

On the child portrait, I agree that the childs eyes are a bit brighter than what they should be, but this may simply be your preference, after all it is art and still compelling to look at.

Although all your images are very well done, my favorite, is the Santa image. I really like it.
Wow,

Now that is how I can learn.....

I am really grateful for the feedback...

I see what you mean re the car images and will try to get that right in future....I DID find it difficult to decide on size of people etc and remeber having issues with this...

I wish there was a sort of formula that could be used....it would be helpful.

The two black areas on my monitor are not black but match the colours...they are (I think( flowers from the original shot....not sure whay they should appear so dar....sorry about that.

The eyes I think need to tone down....you are spot on.

I am so grateful that you have been kind enough to look closely at the images and offer a close scrutiny....it is really helpful and a good way for me to learn.

So, thanks so much....I am very grateful....

Kind regards

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Ray,

I'm sure there are those that could explain this better than myself. There "are" ways to determine sizes of objects in relation to perspective. First there is linear perspective (how objects decrease in size at distance). Now I could go into long winded explanations, however, I doubt if that is what you are looking for. Simply put, all items that have perspective, have, what is called a vanishing point that usually converge on the horizon (dual lines where the vanishing point converges). If the objects are on the same plane, it will probably be on the same horizon, but not necessarily in the same area (depending on plane and angle of the objects). For example, if you have a train track that goes into the horizon, and telephone poles along side the track, the size of the poles will no doubt reduce to the same point eventually. The difference between the tracks and poles will be the size of the poles that are near the track, and the closeness of the poles as the tracks converge. Simply utilizing an imaginary line in conjunction with the foreground objects will give you an approximate size and distance with the objects that are your subjects. Drawing a line from the top of one pole to the bottom of the next, as they become smaller will usually give you the correct distance in pole placement as the size grows smaller. Now . . . for a different type of perspective, called aerial perspective, you simply show distant objects at a lighter color than closer objects. An example that comes to mind is mountain ridges. The most distance will be less distinct, and perhaps shaded by a haze and the closer ones will be slightly sharper and with more color and less haze. This gives the illusion of distance.

I do not profess to be an expert in this area, but I'm making an attempt to keep it simple. There is no doubt various examples through out the net, but what I've made is an "attempt" to explain is merely a simple version. You were asking for a "formula" and this, although crude may be all you need to use and understand size vs. distance when objects are involved. I apologize if I come across as condesending, that would be my last thought. You have incredible talent and show outstanding imagination. I only hope I can be the least bit helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 AM

Hi LQQER,

Expert or not, that is very helpful and for me enlightening.

I was aware of perspective (not as clearly as you explain it) and thought that I had applied it but clearly have not.

I am now itching to give it a try again and see if I can get a better perspective.

I am very grateful for the reply and the detail you have provided, keeping it easy to understand and thank you very much....so much to learn!

With very best wishes and thanks

Best wishes

Ray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques