RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 AM

Hi guys,
i'm a noob to the site but been familiar with photoshop for some time now. Not that pro at portraits but know my way around PS. Did this one from a random google picture when i was bored. Took a little over an hour, didn't do crazy skin techniques or background swaps. Please critique! TIA

http://jacksonzhao.com/blog/wp-conte...y-911x1024.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Re: Newbie

Hi, J.

You did a pretty nice work with shaping her face and retouching its skin. Although the best version in my opinion is the 5th one. It looks much more natural than the final version, however still has some unnatural look.
I can see that eyes are a bit overdone and you left her skin under the neck intact. I can't tell from this image if you kept the skin texture how it was, but you should. Even if it was blurred I can't say it was, so good for you. I also think that her left (on the right :P) upper cheek needs a little more liquifying. The last point for me is her nose. It's too big, not much, but still.

So in general it is pretty good retouch for me. Good luck with it in the future.

-RingUS
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM

thnx for the input! i totally agree with you on the eyes in the final now that i look back at it. i threw in a highpass and the white looks way too fake now. I didnt even notice the arm on the left until you said it. looks from a different person than the rest. Yes the skin i just left how it was, although it was hard because the original image was such low resolution, any liquifying blurred out the details alot. I find it so easy to focus on 1 area and then miss the rest when doing this. THanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 AM

Yeah, #5 is definitely the best version.

I know it's not the point, but I've always felt that a retouch should still look like the original person, just a better version. You know? Here they don't look like the same girl. Like I said, you did well on the retouch so don't take it to mean that you didn't. I would just like to see one where I could recognize her if I knew her.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques