Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My 1st retouch on this site...

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Smile My 1st retouch on this site...

Hello all, I'm new here (and a bit scared!) I've attached a link to a before and after of my 1st detailed retouch for your comments. I've been working with photoshop for a few years now, I'm employed in a fairly low end, 'quick fix' type retouching job and I'm desperate to do some high end work! So this image took me quite a long time (the file was 1.28Gb when finished!) it's basically a 1st go at more detailed dodging and burning along with other techniques I've picked up along the way..... all comments welcome. Click link below

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Re: My 1st retouch on this site...

Looks pretty darn good. I'd color correct a little bit (looks too green/yellow), and I'd add just a little texture back in the chest area. Other than that, looks pretty good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM

I think you did a wonderful job! Again - I like images where some of the little flaws that make us all unique and who we are are not totally obliterated, but the "high end" magazines don't seem to be concerned with that. Really well done though and you should be proud.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM

definitely good work. Just a couple things: Did you blur at all? It's becoming a little smooth on the chest area I would bring that down a touch. The shadows on the neck are a little unappealing I would try and fix those. I like that you tweaked the eye a little bit and great job shading on the lips, but I would work with the top one a bit. it looks very thin in comparison to the bottom and its a little sharp around the edges. nice work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! I agree about lips needing a bit more work and the chest area being slightly over-done, yep I did use a little blur on the chest and it probably shows. I quite liked the shadows but guess they need to be a bit more under control for high end work. Thanks agian tho, keep it coming
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM

I would agree, a very nice job. I did not see many things which need correction, especially given your own modest critique of your own work.

A few notes:
- it appears you started with a good image, which is important.
- good job with the d&b, only a few areas that are overdone compared to adjacent areas (too smooth).
- good job with overall color correction and blending; slash-5 may be correct in that there is a bit too much yellow. Pull it into something quick like ACR, push up the saturation or the vibrance, you'll see the yellow come through. That's always a good quick check for casts or left over color artifacts. It is often hard to tell on the color correction, especially with these small files, plus you did not embed a color profile.
- good job in removing the stray color artifacts, especially near her right eye.
- the one obvious thing is the hair along the edge of her left eye; broken strands from the healing brush that were forgotten.
- you can leave the chest area a bit more soft/blurred if you like, or even go for a little less depth-of-field. This will bring more focus to her face, which is where you want it (unless this is a crop of a lingerie shot).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques