RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

critique please :) 1 image :)

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM

critique please :) 1 image :)

Heya,

I've recently done a photoshoot at an old 1800 cottage for a local fashion designer. She wanted the photos to have an antique look and feel while still maintaining the colour (ie not all sepia). I added sepia tones, but feel there's something missing. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel the brickwork looks like it's too sharp or perhaps there's a way i can edit it that I'm not seeing. Critiques please, suggestions welcome

Have a great day! Thank you

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6784/retouch.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Re: critique please :) 1 image :)

The tones are too orange. Instead of adding a sepia layer, add a B&W layer, change blend mode to multiply and lower opacity to less than 30%. Then add a hue/sat layer and desaturate the reds and yellows about 10 to 15 points each, set blend mode to screen or soft light..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 PM

I've attached a 'fix' here, it doesn't really get you where it should be, but maybe it's closer. I'll explain more later. What I did (jpeg of layers attached) -

-Made a hue/saturation layer, checked the colorize box and set hue to 30, changed the blend mode to color, and set opacity to around 60%.
-made a lighter border rather than a dark border to suggest fading. I think you were going for a vignette, but a lens vignette wouldn't look like yours.
-added a texture layer twice, one set to hard light, low opacity and some blur, the other to soft light and low opacity to look like staining.
-selected highlights from background and copied into a new layer on top and then blurred to look like lens flare.

Ideally, in a situation like this, Photoshop should be used to enhance an image, rather than try to fix something later. In order for a project like this to really work, every aspect of the photo has to be thought out. Start by doing research, look at antique photos and really study them. There are a lot of things you could have done at the shoot to really make this work. The pose here is more of a modern pose, doesn't fit the feeling/mood of an old photo. I'm not sure if this is the right model for this kind of thing also, and her make up is too severe and modern. An old fashion or portrait photo in a setting like this probably would have used shallow depth of field and more of a 'normal' lens rather than the slight wide angle it looks like you used. The angle also looks too low. An older photo of this nature probably would have been shot at least waist high if hand held, or most likely a bit higher and on a tripod.

Don't mean to sound overly critical, just a lot of things to think about to pull off the whole look, but that's the fun part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Sorry, for some reason, the attachments didn't come through. Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (88.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg retouch-h.jpg (95.2 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM

heya! thank you for your comments - I have taken both ideas on board.
Although the designer wanted an antique look and feel to the photo, she wanted modern makeup and pose. Normally for that style of shoot, you would do everything of that style, but this was the way we decided to go on this occasion )
I have made my final changes, and would like to thank you both for your feedback. IT really does help having an extra pair of eyes on the image you've been going over for hours.. thanks again!

final edits:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2...chandra135.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Whoa, that looks pretty sweet. I'll bet the client was quite happy. I think you took some of our suggestions and then kicked it up a notch or two, well done. I know too well how much it helps to just step back for a bit. Sometimes the next day a photo I thought was finished just isn't doing it for me. In the end, you always have to go with what the client wants. In this case, you came up with an image you both can be proud of. Congrats.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 PM

thanks so much! really glad you like it! the client was quite happy, was what she had in mind so that's always a good start before i commence all the other edits in same style.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 AM

We'd love to see some of the others if the client permits.

P.S. What part of Australia are you from? I've been to Sydney, great city.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM

Nice job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 AM

Thanks Cupcake!

Sure - I'll post a few more as they come along Will prob try for different old photo frames, otherwise it'll look too uniform like it's from a template!

I'm in Canberra (ACT), the capital of Aus. It's a nice place to live! About 3 hours away from Sydney.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques