Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Retouch critique

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Exclamation Retouch critique

Hello, this is a retouch I did awhile ago and I was wondering what you guys think. The skin and eyes were just dodge and burn. I know my masking wasn't the best, and excuse the hair, because, honestly, I have no idea how to retouch hair. For a full size before and after rollover go here:

Thanks for your input!

EDIT: I tried removing the dark circles/bags under her eyes, but it just looked... bad. And didn't look at all like the model anymore. I think it gives her character
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComparitiveB&A.jpg (97.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Chennae; 06-22-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: :D I have the memory of a goldfish.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Re: Retouch critique

I'm no beauty retoucher so I'm probably not the best person to critiquing the overall look, but what I do notice right away is the white fringe around the entire model (most noticeable off the shoulders, most distractingly around the hair) from where you replaced/changed the background, it's a small mistake but really stands out. I don't know how you made your mask, but that might be something you want to focus on. Given the white background, masking for the hair shouldn't be to difficult. If you don;t have CS5 to play with the new refine edges then I would recommend trying to make the mask in channels using the Apply image command to define the contrast along the edges.

The only other thing I can see just off the top of my head is shifts in color in the skin (for example along the neck) which could have been from your dodging and burning. It might just require some minor color adjust in some of the skin (even just a soft loose adjustment with the lasso tool and a curves to adjust color in the affected areas might help.

Beyond that its look really nice to me. Great work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Re: Retouch critique

Besides the mask issues addressed in the post above, this looks great. the eyes came out incredible. however I do suggest that you consider learning how to work non-destructively as it will help you in the future when you need to do changes, but besides that the levels and the burn and dodges were nicely done.

things that could make the picture better imo is fixing her eyebrows by taking out rouge hairs, pushing in using the liquify tool parts of her hair that stick out like on the top and right. maybe even touching up her nose, but thats all on you.

good job.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques