RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

High End Beauty Retouches...

Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 AM

High End Beauty Retouches...

...well maybe not quite, but that's what I'm aiming for and would appreciate criticism to help refine my skills.

There are a few issues,

Image 1 - Dark halo along the hair-line where i've changed the background. Also should there be more work on skin colour, lips and eyes...

Image 2 - Background luminance and colour, also hair work and necklace shape...

Image 3 - Should the lighting be evened out around the face, also is the flower colour wrong...

Here are the links to the before & after rollovers,
(zooms are larger and will take longer to load)

(Taken these links down)

I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Rob

Credits

Image 1 - Charlotte Kibbles (photographer)
- Anne Veck (hair stylist)

Image 2 & 3 - AliceOliviaPhotography

Last edited by Robrasil; 02-23-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Re: High End Beauty Retouches...

nice hair done.... do you have some good advise in hair??
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks Marek,

Well I can tell you what I generally do. I use the lasso tool to cut & paste selections of hair on empty new layers, then blend them in with layer masks, free transform, and curves & hue/sat adj layers. Then I use the clone tool to even out the texture and break up any repeating patterns. I also use the clone tool for the flyaway hairs, particularly in darken mode for light hairs over darker ones. Then finish off with dodge and burn to emphasise highlights and shadows.

Natalia Taffarel has a good DVD which I learned a lot from.

Rob

Last edited by Robrasil; 08-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Patron

Rob, very nice work using professional techniques. There is not much to criticize so I am probably into nit picking.

Image 1: Great job on the hair. Very good D&B on the skin with even color and smooth transitions. Things that I might have considered are:
- under the model's left eye (her eyelid), the diagonal skin line (wrinkle) coming off the corner is a littke to prominent when compared to her right eye which does not have one. So it breaks the symetry a bit and keeps dragging my eyes to that eye more.
- there is something a little off with her nose. Firstly at the top of the highlight on her right side of the nose, combination of the highlight and the shadow makes it look a bit like that side of the nose is not straight but has a bit of a buldge or bump. And when I look at the image the bottom of the nose appears to twist to the right (viewer's right). That may be because one nostril appears smaller than the other. It may just be that her nose, like many people's is not perfectly symetrical. The question becomes, should you make it so, just like you might reshape a shoulder or a head. If the client was ok with a little "plastc surgery" I would have done a little work there. Otherwise super job on this image.

Image 2: A good job on a less than optimal photo. Nice liquify work on the back and neck. Good recover of detail from under exposure
- The first thing that stands out is the very bottom of her chin. There is a pink band along it from the front to half way back along her chin. It is more red than the skin above it and for me it sticks out like a sore thumb (or rather chin).
- There's a distracting little dark spot on her left eyebrow showing through the space in her hair.
- There is a skin line dropping down about a 45 degree angle from near the corner of her left eye that I would have attenuated a little more. Same for the other line running between her nose and left cheek bone.
- I find all that flyaway hair just a bit much and I would have trimmed a bit more of it away.
- While those moles / brown spots are defining characteristics, I would have made a couple more of them disappear and possibly slightly lighten a couple of those that remain.

Image 3: Nice skin & hair and shape.
- I would have considered removing her right fore-arm and wrist- just the section that is behind the flower in the upper left corner of the image.
- Possibly removed the lump / bump that is her left clavicle.
- Her right shoulder and top of arm are a disproportionately large part of the background and I find detract from the overall photo. I am not sure I would have shot it quite that way but it's something your stuck with and you have limited options to play with it.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks Murray, I really appreciate that.

Rob
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 AM

thnx rob.... nice edit btw

Last edited by marek; 08-11-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Rob,

I like your style. Well done on the retouches!

Charles Lucima
www.lucima.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM

The first image of the red head- I think her hair is over saturated, but this is is just my opinion.
I does not blend in with the background, however this could be adjusted with a simple dodge/burn and an adjustment of the green channel (or Mag).
I think you did an incredible job with all three of these images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread so far. I have taken the above links down so am redirecting to my new thread,

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/cri...tml#post278291

Last edited by Robrasil; 11-01-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques