Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Beauty Before & After Samples

Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Re: Beauty Before & After Samples

I'm trying to learn retouching, so do not take any of my views as any authority. First, I would like to congratulate you on your work. It is beautiful and meticulous. I have an artistic point of view as a painter but I am trying to adapt that to what one is looking for in retouching. Please accept these thoughts from my own personal aesthetic, which may not relate to the requirements of the retouched photo. I'm still trying to learn what different markets are looking for, how much is too much, how much not enough.

In most of the photos, I admired the skin texture but sometimes felt that the skin texture seemed too refined, over-sharpened. Beyond that, too much sharpening through in some images makes the whole image seem to be the focus and therefor reads more flat, more 2-D, less dynamic to my eye. On the other hand when I looked at the mark-ups which showed the images in a smaller format, they looked great, so I imagine many of the things that look too sharp to me may actually look perfect when printed. This is something I need to learn about.

Audrey--Personally, I thought the skin around the mouth could be lightened up a little and the forehead reads too gray for my taste, but that may be the look you want. I also miss the indentation above the lip.

Elizabeth--I'm not crazy about that kind of super clean masking on the hair, but I know that they are probably after that look. Also, I really miss the model's left collarbone. I'm not sure, but I might be tempted to lower that left shoulder a smidge and get rid of or minimize the armpit crease, hard to tell if that would work until I saw it. The skin looks beautiful!

Eden--again as a person who knows anatomy from painting the wrist reads odd now after the correction--a bit too straight for me. I would want to add a litte more indentation where the hand attaches to the arm, and refine the shading a bit so that the arm reads less tree-trunk round and more arm shaped to my eye. I'm not nuts about the skin color either, it seems too uniform, not enough hue variation, too mannequin, but maybe they want that.

Leanna--That looks really pretty. Mascara is super extreme, but I think that is the look your after. Nice work with all the details on the clothing and jewelry, it really shows.

Natalie--Super gorgeous! The model looks really beautiful. Some of the gloss on the upper lip is a little too much for me personally. Even beyond the work you did, I think the clothing could use more refinement to make it more in keeping with the elegance of the model.

There's my two sense. And that is all it is really--just my personal amateur opinions. I'm still trying to learn what the industry standards are. Excellent work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Re: Beauty Before & After Samples

great work,
i find the stray hair cleaning sometimes a bit false looking. for example on the image the right hand sideof the image i think you should have taken the stray hais completely out, leaving the bulk of the hair as the finishingpoint on that side.
What i really did like on this one is the small freckle you left just above the eye. It sort of keeps it real to me .

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques