RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

What is wrong with this retouch?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM

Re: What is wrong with this retouch?

@Kyo, Color correction attempt (I hope), removing the green:http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5...hcolourfix.jpg. Is this better.

I purchased a copy of Esquire magazine, going to study that tonight. Will also look at the men's perfume posters at the mall tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetWannabe View Post
Kyle, I don't mind the extreme critique in fact it is what I need. OK so that is your opinion about my first attempt. What the first image I posted? This is where I tried to remove some of the perfection. I changed the eye color because I noticed he was wearing contacts and I thought they might be tinted they looked more red than hazel so I decided to go with green. I am still having a problem seeing the 'green' in the image but I did say I have a bad eye for color.

All in all, it is all my fault. I didn't do the research. Should have picked up a few men's fashion magazines and studied them for a couple of weeks then I would have known what I was doing. Instead I approached this like I would a female face.

Anyone else have anything to add?
My comments were to the first image you posted.

If you want I'll mark up a version to show you what I'm talking.

Kyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM

@Kyo thanks that would be great.

As far as the dullness of the images and lack of luminosity, well, I think I finally saw the light! This is my final attempt: http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7...touchfinal.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 AM

So when I saved the image, I realized part of the issue.. you saved the image in Adobe RGB.

This is fine normally, but for web display, sRGB is the only universally browser friendly color space. Most browsers don't know how to handle adobe rgb, and assign different colors than what are actually there.. often making images greenish.

The image was a bit on the green side still, but not nearly as much. The luminosity in the new image is much better, and the color is as well.

It's still a bit green however.. I shifted the whole image a hair towards magenta (color balance works fine for this).. then did it again with just the beard. This warms the image a bit and gets rid of most of that cast.

I changed the tint on the eyes as they were still a bit yellow for my taste.. somewhere between what you had and the original eye color.

I then stamped a few places in the beard that repeated a bit too much for me.. mainly just in spots to break the perfect lines of the hair and make it a bit more natural.

http://nothingtoseehere.info/critique.jpg

Kyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Many thanks Kyle! That bit about saving the image in RGB was especially invaluable. I think I have been making this mistake all along with all the other images as well and couldn't understand why they looked so dull compared to when viewed in photoshop or bridge. I am going to delete several of my web images now and resave them in sRGB. And, yes your image does look a lot better than mine does on the web. I was also happy to see that you didn't make too, too many changes to it, which suggests to me that I didn't do a very bad job of it overall

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM

For what its worth from me I think you did an excellent job... You had all the hard work done. But if someone posts a picture asking what is wrong we can always find something...lol

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw View Post
For what its worth from me I think you did an excellent job... You had all the hard work done. But if someone posts a picture asking what is wrong we can always find something...lol

Butch
Thanks Butch, for encouragement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 PM

It's kinda fun getting to point out the tiny details with an image instead of having to critique basics.

Kyle
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques