RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

What do you think?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 PM

What do you think?

Hi,

I retouched this photo for a client and don't think she was very happy, but I think compared to the before she should be pleased. Any ideas on how I could improve on this photo? Go ahead... I have tough skin and anxious to learn new tips and techniques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1438bsmall.jpg (82.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_1438rsmall.jpg (86.1 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 AM

Re: What do you think?

Well you've added 10 years to her age! Firstly, the original pose was literally less 'in your face' and better for it - by adjusting the picture angle you've changed her body language. It's gone from "hi" to "pssst, over here". Orange skin is to be avoided especially on redheads who rarely have such a tan! You seem to have overcooked the skin work to the extent that it's become an illustration - see original. I think you have been a bit too enthusiastic - often less is more.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 AM

Thanks for your honesty. I do realize that I got carried away, but I am just learning. I actually wanted her to look younger--- yikes!!! I do believe when I compressed the file it made the color a bit worse than it actually is, however; with that said I agree 100% that the skin is still way too orange-- which I plan on correcting and will re-post As far as the cropping, I personally prefer the after...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 AM

Maybe this is a littttle bit better for a newbie?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1438r copy.jpg (99.3 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM

I'm afraid I have to agree with the above comments. I think she is actually looking more boyish in the retouched version as well. By removing the creases under her eyes, you have taken the 'smile' from them and made her face look more masculine. I would still tone tone the orange in her skin too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslove View Post
I retouched this photo for a client and don't think she was very happy, but I think compared to the before she should be pleased...
To be brutally honest I can understand the fact that she may not be very happy and am unsure of why you believe it to be better than the original. I agree with all the points raised by Repairman. Like him I do feel you have gone too far with this!

FWIW these are my thoughts on the image and how I may have approached the subject.

1. The original picture has some charm as is. The pose is nice with a slight tilt of the head appealing imo in a young attractive lady. Therefore I would not want to straighten (starts to look like a passport photo?). I do not think I would crop much if any

2. This is an attractive young lady who needs very little in the way of retouching. She has lovely red hair which probably means that her skin tone will be pale with more than average pink tinge. Therefore I might be tempted to add just a little warmth (yellow) to give a light tan look.

3. Retouching the lines under the eyes only needs a very light touch. Her left eye needing a little more. I think I would select her right eye first and gently soften the line and then work on her left eye to match the look of the right.

4. Brighten her left eye and teeth slightly - as you have done.

5. I find the original background colour being neutral ok, but I find the new orange one disturbing. If change of background wanted then I would either darken original or move the colour more towards blue or even slightly purple. This should have the effect of bringing your subject more forward.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques