Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first retouch, please critique...

Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 AM
My first retouch, please critique...

I shot this photo a while ago with my new D7000, a 41cm beauty dish and one SB900. I am still a newbie in Photography and retouching.
This is my first serious retouch so I´d really appreciate your critique on what can be improved.

Basically all I know about retouching is from forums and some YouTube tutorials.

After a few "a priori" comments I´d also be willing to share the original RAW for you to experiment and compare both before and after.

So tell me what you think...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Re: My first retouch, please critique...

Hi Mallefitzo.

First of all I actually like the feel of the shot. You at least kept the soul in the image and did not overdo any smoothing of the skin, kudos for that. As I see many many 'high end' retouchers go wrong; although they show skin texture, the skin texture is the same EVERYwhere, which in real life is not the case.

I do have a question and a few remarks.

question. when enlarged the face shows either he has freckles all over his face or something went wrong with the skin touching.. he seems to have white and or brown spots all over his skin. I would have tried to get that in balance a bit more. Curious to see the 'before' picture.

a few remarks:

1. I see orange in his eyebrows. Is this make up? Just get all the colors in the hair the same.. light and dark is ok, as long as its the same color. Not brown and orange.

2. When looking from a distance the chest is lit up way more than the face. If you're portraying him as a fighter, hiding his face in the dark, making him a bit of a mystical type.. and showing his 'fierce' chest like animals would do in the jungle.. than I get it.. but you would generally like to capture the viewers attention in the eyes, then face, then body. (continue this remark in point 3).

3. Since the neck is cut off with a very dark line and the Adam's apple is very present, the eyes of the viewer is not flowing from the chest to the face.. but is stopped at the neck and then you see the lit face.

4. the face looks a bit more orange than the skin color of the chest. Make sure if your make up artist does the face, they pay attention that every other part that'll be in the shot has the same color.. hands are the most often forgotten parts..

If anything I would say balance it a bit more and check the spots on the face.. but STAY with the natural skintexture.. clean up the chest hair (pixel level work) and I'm down

Last edited by jaimiepeeters; 05-02-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Re: My first retouch, please critique...

Hi Jaimie,

Thanks for your time to evaluate my image. I´ll try to answer your questions and remarks:

Yes, indeed, he has freckles I tried to conserve them but probably messed too much around with the texture while healing.

1) We didn´t use any Makeup in that shot. Could be that I overdid the gradient map a little bit to even out skin tones.

2) Thanks for that remark. Didn´t notice that until now. Should have adjusted to beauty dish accordingly.

3) Ok, I understand.

4) True I had some problems evening out skin tones and my eyes are not that educated yet. I am trying hard

Again thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques