RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

New retoucher seeking critique... before/after

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM

New member looking for advice/critique

Not sure how to delete. Please scroll down a couple posts to see my revised thread.

Last edited by Siciliana; 06-26-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: change in thread
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Re: New member looking for advice/critique

Hello Siciliana,

I made some notes on the photo regarding bits and knobs I think needs to be done. Hope it helps. neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM

here is attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched_web.jpg (87.4 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks, Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM

I personally didn't like the saturated oranges and how u made her hairs blue.
I like the colors of before than that of afters.
Other than that I would have tried to perfect the makeup, her eye shadow seems very uneven try perfecting it and her lips color is uneven as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Yeah, I hear you about the orange.--I think most of it is the result of color shift from not properly color managing for the web. I kinda liked the look of the blue light, I mostly added it because I thought the photo was a little boring. Then, again, I am a person who has had blue hair myself and like that kind of thing I have the blue effect in a group and can click it off. I will have another go at it later to fix the make-up, etc. and give it a more 'perfect' look, to repost. I was trying to stay more true to the original, less retouched, but I'm still getting a feel for how far to take it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Also, I realized after that I posted this in the wrong place. Will redo and move over to the 'critiques' section.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 PM

New retoucher seeking critique... before/after

Hi, I'm new to retouching, but a longtime photoshop user and painter. I am seeking critiques to help me improve so that I can get work in professional retouching in an agency environment. I have also worked for many years as a print graphic designer and have experience with color management for print and prepress, so I think that helps, but I am just not familiar with the industry standards for retouching. When I look at some magazines I often see images that I think look awful (ie. fake), as well as others that are very natural and supernaturally beautiful.

I posted this before/after in the wrong category the other day so I'm moving it over here. I'm still trying to work out how far is too far on skin, and how much is not enough. This model has very blotchy skin with blemishes. I corrected most of it with dodge and burn techniques, combined with some frequency separation. I am wondering if the skin is still has too much variation still? I don't like the plastic look--as an artist I like more realistic variation, but I realize that may not be what people want. There were so many light and dark patches in this skin that I had to do a lot of small dodge and burn and curves to make it more even. Yet, I know I could have taken it farther. I could make the skin color more even and the variation less, but part of me thinks it doesn't feel real if I do that. So, I'm asking you: How does this look to you? What should I do differently? I do see variations around the eyes/chin/forehead that could be removed, but my instinct is to leave them--should I work on the skin more? Is this enough? Sharp enough? Too shiny? What do you think of the color? Looking for help...

**I had some helpful comments that the eye make-up and lip-stick should be improved but I haven't done that yet.**

before: http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...untouched2.jpg
after: http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...retouched2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untouched1.jpg (73.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg retouched1.jpg (83.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Siciliana; 06-26-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 PM

Move this thread to the critiques section:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/cri...tml#post293574
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Re: New retoucher seeking critique... before/after

Hi Siciliana: Well, I don't really know how to critique this job, but it looks to me that the original photo, is not a good photo to begin with, and if that's the original size, i guess it is too small... I don't want to sound harsh...

First, if you are using spatial frequency separation and D&B, you are on the right track. As for the process, I think you went a bit too far, perhaps with the dodging, specially from the neck down, because the original doesn't show too much texture in that area, and some parts of her face. The color shadow below her eyes don't match (I know it is the original photo). So your work there should be, to make them look more even. From neck down the photo doesn't need a lot of process for the same reason, almost no texture.

When we over do the dodging the result looks blury. "Look at her side burn, compared to the rest of the hair, the part between her nose and upper lip (center part), and her cheek bone looks a bit too flat, meaning that there is an absence of texture or natural look, but then again that's where I think the original is not a good alternative.

Perhaps you could use a bit more of sharpening to make it look a bit better... My advice here is; try to find a better picture to practice. The other thing you can do is, create 2 help layers for your eyes, they can give you a better perspective when you get ready to apply D&B...
1- A dark curve layer, and 2- A solid color white layer in color mode. These are only eye help layers, which you can delete when you are done with the D&B...

In a while I'll add a link to this post that can also help with black skin tone...

The link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mOAdOTHzTg

Last edited by Boneappetit; 06-25-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques