RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

critique me!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Re: critique me!

so on an image i should typically have 4 layers? the background, low, high, and then the D and B layer? Also, where does it go? does it go on top of the high pass or under it or ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Well, not exactly, that's just for the SFS, and dodge and burn work process. A complete retouch includes some other things, (here, every retoucher has its own method). Techniques could include: Liquify, Layer masks, smudge, Color adjustments, Selective colors, Sharpening, Contrast curves, color correction etc... The target is to take care of each and every detail of your image and make it look great, but looking natural still, in other words, not over done. Nothing is done global, and you need to work in a non-destructive way, in case you note at some point that you went to far, there's no need to go back and start all over.

Of all these techniques Dodge and Burn could be the most time consuming. Just take it one step at a time, try to learn the basics for D&B and then climb another step.. You won't get results immediately, it takes some time to learn and apply it... If you are planning to do this, my advice to you is get a tablet, it will make your life a lot easier.

PS. First you do the SFS work and then the D&B.. When you are done with D&B, then you do the Contrast, color correction, sharpening etc...

Last edited by Boneappetit; 06-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Ah okay. That makes a little more sense now. And i would'nt even TRY doing this without a tablet lol. I bought one.....4 weeks ago.

upon experimenting, i came up with a question. for skin, this will work greatttt. BUT! what about hair on skin? like if the model has a few strands of hair on her skin(deep black in color) with nearly 40% opacity and 40% hard it'll dodge up, but not enough to get rid of the hair. In a situation like this, would i have to clone it away?

Last edited by Brandon McCann; 06-29-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM

One more little tip I learned from recent retouchpro video is to sample a light color from the skin tone and then lighten/desaturate it a bit for the highlights on your D&B layer, and to sample a dark color and darken/saturate it a bit for the shadows. (I think that's how he did it) Save the swatches so you can go back to them if needed. You can paint this onto your neutral gray soft light for purer D&B without the desaturation that can happen when you paint with black and white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:10 PM

ah! thats a nice little idea. thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM

I would clone out hair . Even if you were able to lighten it by dodging, you still need the skin texture and skin color in the area where the hair was, so dodging is not an appropriate technique for stray hairs. Try not to clone any more than you need to. You can experiment with different blend modes of the clone tool if that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoPaTh View Post
so on an image i should typically have 4 layers? the background, low, high, and then the D and B layer? Also, where does it go? does it go on top of the high pass or under it or ?
Sorry, I didn't exactly answered this question before... although you need some other techniques for a pro-retouch, this is a very good practice base set for starters...

The purpose of D&B is basically, to even out the light and dark parts of the skin, so it won't look blotchy or with large differences. In this context the transitions should look very soft. Many pro-retouchers use a second and even a third D&B layer to do the carving, using these extra layers for highlights and shadows. For example add the effect of blush, or tune cheek bones, or create the illusion of a smaller forehead and so on...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques