RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

critique me!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM

critique me!

can you tell me the good and the bad and how to change it? the images are originally jpeg so as far as the noisy quality goes there is not much more I can do that won't kill detail..

thanks for looking!

www.behance.net/brandonmccann
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Re: critique me!

Hi:

The photos look like you used blur to retouch them, when you use blur to retouch skin, you kill the texture, and the result is so not natural, looking fake... The correct way of retouching is called Dodge and Burn technique (which is a very time consuming technique, it also takes a while to learn), along with Spatial Frequency Separation technique, among some others. Here is a quick trick to retouch skin without loosing texture... This is not as good as D&B but a lot quicker and easier. (Scroll page down to see the quick method)... http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 03:27 PM

i used a frequency separation with a 26% opacity on the high pass filter and then i painted back in some of the texture. perhaps i should paint in more?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoPaTh View Post
i used a frequency separation with a 26% opacity on the high pass filter and then i painted back in some of the texture. perhaps i should paint in more?
The Spatial Freq Separation should be done via apply image instead of HP filter.
But, you should check the degrunge technique and see what happens...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM

ill try the degrunge and im looking for a neat tutorial on the D&B technique but i didnt use the actual high pass filter, i used the apply image like you said. apply image-lowpass-2 and 128-subtract-and then a layer mode of linear light. or at least, that's the way I was taught it o.O
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoPaTh View Post
ill try the degrunge and im looking for a neat tutorial on the D&B technique but i didnt use the actual high pass filter, i used the apply image like you said. apply image-lowpass-2 and 128-subtract-and then a layer mode of linear light. or at least, that's the way I was taught it o.O
Good. But the spatial frequency separation by itself it is kind of incomplete, if you don't do Dodge and burn, sharpening, color adjustments etc... In a while I'll give you a nice D&B tutorial...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM

alright i look forward to learning this
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Here is a nice tutorial on D&B.. http://digital-makeups.deviantart.co...03123#/d26a2h2

An easier way to dodge and burn,instead of 2 separate curves is:
Create a blank layer after the SFS, Fill it with 50% Gray, and change the blending mode to Soft Light.
Then with a small brush (like 2 pixels) and low opacity could be between 2 - 40, depending on what part you are trying to D&B, You can use a hardness of 50% or maybe 33%. Paint with white for dodging and black for burning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM

i learn things a little differently but let me make sure i have this right.

Dodge and burn does not replace texture, it merely changes shading and since pictures are 2 dimensional, changing shading would eliminate a bump, so to speak. now as for the steps its

frequency separation
a blank layer filled with 50 gray and a blending mode of softlight
and with a small brush, rather soft, low opacity, change the shading of the off colored areas to retouch the photo? I explain things bad too so it may be a little difficult to understand what i mean. Also, why separate the frequencies? if I am going to use dodge and burn? Just use the dodge and burn on the skin and such and use the high and low pass's on the remaining parts like hair, background etc? I'm confused as to the purpose of separating the frequencies for the dodge and burn technique.

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM

I don't know how to explain it very well, but when you separate your image in two different spatial frequencies you have control over color, and texture independently, and for retouching there is nothing that could beat that... The 50% gray fill layer in Soft Light mode is like having the dark and light curves in one place, so you don't have to go back and forth during your dodging and burning, but when using curves you have more flexibility and alternatives...
Take a look at this thread, where some experienced retouchers explain in depth about SFS...
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...all-speak.html

Note: If you use this method, just click the X key to switch between black and white...

Last edited by Boneappetit; 06-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques