RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Beauty retouch before/after rollover

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 AM

Beauty retouch before/after rollover

Hi all,

First time I've posted a link for critique. I shot this back in March and finally got around to retouching it recently. Let me know your thoughts.

thanks!

Last edited by onceinarow; 01-03-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Re: Beauty retouch before/after rollover

Try having a look at models.com for tearouts. If you analyse the facial features of the models they cast and the styling (hair, makeup, colours etc). You can get a pretty good idea of what is acceptable in the industry right now and what sought of retouching looks professional. The model in your photo doesn't look like she is from an agency and the makeup doesn't look like it is by an experienced makeup artist. If you go onto youtube you can find great tutorials by real makeup artists from the industry, learn a look by heart and do the makeup yourself if you can't find a makeup artist who is good enough. Also if you are having a really hard time finding suitable models from an agency, simply walk down the street and hand out your business card to people who have a great look for beauty (keeping in mind what professional models look like, not what you are attracted to lol). Sometimes when there are no suitable female models available there are amazing male models... Work with whatever you have available, don't think about your taste or ego just think about the end result and how professional it will be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Patron

Looks like you didn't do anything with the neck, which looks splotchy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Hi Nick,
if you are just shooting beauty, the model can be any body type, any height etc which is why it is so easy to get people off the street. Simply look for features that resemble a fashion model for example; heart, round or oval shape face, broad face, symmetrical features, far apart eyes, small nose that does not extend out past eyes, small mouth that sits high on the face, angular cheek bones and jaw etc. Great skin and hair is important too. Are you in Canada? Some of the worlds most famous models are Canadian like Stam, Daria, Shalom Harlow etc. Canada is a country where tall black women and white women with european features are both accessible so you are doing better than most!! And with makeup, it was actually the application that looked bad to me... I don't think it is a real makeup artist, they just got matt pigments and sat them next to each other it wasn't blended professionally. Also the colour choice looked very studenty, if you look at tearouts from popular magazines makeup like this simply isn't used. Try having a look at your favourite beauty editorials, I think you'll find bright colours are only ever used in dramatic ways, like pink eyeshadow all down the sides of face or no makeup at all and just a strong lip etc. Like this: http://models.com/work/10-magazine-chanel-1/viewAll
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM

thanks again for the feedback.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM

I find with editorials and test shoots, where i don't know the team I have to completely take control of what happens even if it means making a face chart myself for the makeup artist or just removing them from the set and doing it myself LOL!! Same goes with the model, some girls simply can't photograph, for example one of my friends in high school got an italian vogue cover before her first season but she never got any high profile work after that because she was hopeless in front of the camera and so her agency actually removed the italian vogue cover from her portfolio, so that people wouldn't ask questions!! LOL Sometimes shooting someone more ordinary looking can get a better picture because they photograph well.. So just get out your business card ask 2-3 people per day to model for you, shoot all of them. Take the better photos and retouch them, presto you have great photos!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM

haha. i like your style. I'm not the best at walking up to strangers and asking them to model. Usually a creeper vibe. haha.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 PM

lol you'll get over it!! Just treat it like a numbers game. You're not trying to sleep with girls or guys you just want to take pictures! Some people aren't interested, but there are also people who are desperate to be discovered or just want great photos to put on their facebook page lol.
I'm a woman so when female models reject me on the street it's not because I'm sleazy, it's usually because they are embarrassed about something (flaw on their face/body etc) or have some preconceived notion that people in the fashion industry are mean and going to make fun of their clothing? I have no idea.. I find that agency models never reject me on the street they always say yes. Have you also tried amateur models from websites? I once had a model in Australia who told me she lived nearby so that I would shoot her, but she actually had to drive from another state and ended up staying with us for three days! I took a chance on her because she had never modeled before and had no professional photos but I saw a casting video of her online where she had an amazing profile and bone structure. After the editorial she approached an agency and is now very well known in Australia. I don't think girls are good at modeling from the agency's coaching, they either learn on their own before approaching the agency or they are selected by the agency because they photograph/walk well. Agencies in cities outside of NYC select girls based on their appearance not their modeling ability, so you have to develop an eye for picking girls who photograph well (just from looking at their photos). Some girls like abbey lee kershaw are amazing in real life and have amazing confidence but really don't photograph well.. the camera just doesn't like them for some reason. I find even if someone is hard to direct and not at all photogenic, you can still get great shots if you just take control of everything that happens at the shoot and extensively retouch lol!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 PM

The cleaned up version looks nice. I think you can still take it a little further as far as clean up goes and making the face more symmetric. Now that that is done. Give it your own style. Maybe play with the highlights and shadows. There isn't anything drawing me in and making me want to stare at the picture.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques