RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critiques please

Old 08-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Critiques please

Hi all,

Please give me your honest comments about the below pictures! I've always been a fan of the surreal/ Cartoonish look many professional photographers have. So this is my attempts to replicate those looks.

My first composite
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgxworl...n/photostream/

Being my first, i had problems merging the Couple with the background that i had. Mainly the colors were off. In the end i fiddled around a little and sort of got the colors to match. Are there any other ways to do it?

Attempt at the look
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgxworl...n/photostream/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 PM

Re: Critiques please

Well I dont think it looks cartoonish, it looks awesome the way it is. Kind of HDR look, or Dave Hill look. I personally like 1 more then 2. Great job
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 PM

since the pseudo-HDR styling is intentional I will not remark upon it except to say it would appear that you have achieved enough to contribute to the image's atmosphere.

The details the stood out for me were:
  • The forefront "fog" that is present at the male's feet - it appears that it was intentionally placed there to hide something (?)
    Although, looking at the 2nd image I see that was intended to appear as that: fog or smoke of some kind. In my opinion it came across as poor dodging or similar lightening and loss of contrast there.
  • Poor placement of shadows - the shadows appear in front of the females foot, when it should fall behind and to the left (from the viewer's point of view) of the foot.
    Same thing applies to the male's left raised foot; the shadow does appear properly placed when compared with the other shadow(s) in the image.
    Case-in-point: observing the males gun hand, the lapel/jacket is crinkled at the right shoulder - that part is in shadow with light seeming to come from the male's left and above shoulder level. The shadows should there be falling with more of a viewer's left to right and with a slight rear-to-front angle.
    The female's left hand, hidden in shadow by the sleeve also seems to indicate this, as well as, the shadow of her face falling right up to the male's left lapel - the shadow would otherwise fall farther toward the male's shoulder/arm if the light source was to be more toward the forefront.
    If you compare the shadows in the 2nd image, and note the angle of the source light you will see the congruency of the shadows and how they fall.
All in all a more than decent first attempt that will surely improve with each new piece.

I look forward to seeing more from you
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM

One more to add. Playing around with rain.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6187/...fc314c4e_z.jpg
Kas-2-part-2 by tgxworld, on Flickr
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
since the pseudo-HDR styling is intentional I will not remark upon it except to say it would appear that you have achieved enough to contribute to the image's atmosphere.

The details the stood out for me were:
  • The forefront "fog" that is present at the male's feet - it appears that it was intentionally placed there to hide something (?)
    Although, looking at the 2nd image I see that was intended to appear as that: fog or smoke of some kind. In my opinion it came across as poor dodging or similar lightening and loss of contrast there.
  • Poor placement of shadows - the shadows appear in front of the females foot, when it should fall behind and to the left (from the viewer's point of view) of the foot.
    Same thing applies to the male's left raised foot; the shadow does appear properly placed when compared with the other shadow(s) in the image.
    Case-in-point: observing the males gun hand, the lapel/jacket is crinkled at the right shoulder - that part is in shadow with light seeming to come from the male's left and above shoulder level. The shadows should there be falling with more of a viewer's left to right and with a slight rear-to-front angle.
    The female's left hand, hidden in shadow by the sleeve also seems to indicate this, as well as, the shadow of her face falling right up to the male's left lapel - the shadow would otherwise fall farther toward the male's shoulder/arm if the light source was to be more toward the forefront.
    If you compare the shadows in the 2nd image, and note the angle of the source light you will see the congruency of the shadows and how they fall.
All in all a more than decent first attempt that will surely improve with each new piece.

I look forward to seeing more from you
Thanks for your kind comments! i get what you mean by the shadow doesnt really match the direction of light. I guess when compositing humans into backgrounds i have to take note of the shadows and the color cast?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Really great work, love the look, and the composites are well done. You've definitely got a good handle on lighting the subject to match the background, which I've learned is soooo important with composites (I'm a newb trying to learn composites). I agree with the previous shadow comments, but I also really want to emphasize that your lighting technique is really working, so keep that going!

Great work!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques