RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Opinions? (beauty/portrait)

Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 AM

Opinions? (beauty/portrait)

Still practicing and trying to improve. Let me know what you think. Of course now that I post it I see a few hairs and unevenness to fix. Wondering if there is some kind of treatment I can give the photo to improve it more. The color isn't so good on this little web-optimized images but you can see the images at a bigger size here:

after: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rastere...in/photostream

before: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rastere...n/photostream/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beforeW.jpg (95.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg afterW.jpg (80.5 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 AM

Re: Opinions? (beauty/portrait)

The hair still needs more work, but I just got tired of working on it and would come back later for the final polish. Seems like there is a harsh transition on the bridge of the nose that still bothers me too.

Last edited by Siciliana; 08-22-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Also playing with any kind of toning effect. Here are a few I came up with but I'm sure some of the weird skin tones are a no-no. Any creative ideas would be appreciated for how to improve the image and create drama or mood at the final step would be appreciated. I realize that this is very subjective.

I'm also finding that my web images which I am saving out as sRGB are having quite a different appearance in my browser(safari) then in photoshop... hmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After-3W.jpg (77.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg After-2W.jpg (78.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg After-1W.jpg (94.4 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Don't have a ton of time here but the first thing that caught my eye was the skin texture on her chest. Could be compression artifacts, but I'm not entirely sure. Subjectively: The eyeshadow style isn't my favorite, just feels a bit much in around the nose. Makeup is tough, and I struggle with it myself. Great start overall, I know the image: her chest is a tough one to tackle because of all the hair and her pores are very "defined". Keep refining and you'll get there quickly.
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM

I think a pretty nice job overall. Congrats.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 PM

I like 1 best! Great job, love the skin texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 AM

My apologize on the makeup comment from earlier, just pulled up the original and in fact . . . that's how it was done in the shot. :/ Still dislike it but that's certainly not your fault! Just wanted to apologise. I also agree with Carlos, I think I like #1 best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Number one and three are the better ones out of these options but I'm thinking one is the best. What's important is why. The clearly emphasized element here is the eye makeup. It's the only thing that stands out in the shot as being that interesting, so you want it to stand out. Quite often photos that are trying to show off really highly saturated eye makeup going with lower saturation on their skintones simply because this emphasizes the makeup. As for the hair I'm not big on it but it would a difficult job to turn it into something truly amazing. If I was working on it personally I'd probably be pulling from other frames to rebuild some body/consistency in the flow and I'd do a lot of work on the highlight path. I don't think I would pull the background to black if the decision was mine, probably replace it with something though. The problem is the hair melts into it and I like more shape.

The skin looks blurry to me. There is really no reason to use any kind of auto smoothing function on skin. All it does is fool your eye into thinking that it looks smoother when it's just going kind of bleh. I never touch every bit of the skin in retouching. Adjustments to it should be small and surgical in my opinion when it comes to cleanup work. If a pore is lighter in my after version, it's because I wanted that one to be lighter. The nose seems like it's losing a little definition in the after version. It's harder for me to tell what it is at this resolution but it could be the same issue. The lips have a nice shine. You should consider doing more to emphasize them.

If I was personally working on it I'd bring those pores back considerably. In fact I'd probably redo that skin from scratch so I could do it the way I wanted. You should remove the stuff that is truly obnoxious first and save the file at that point. The stuff from then on should involve choices of what you tone down and how far it goes. Clicking your layers on and off can help make this decision. There are other things to it but I hope this helps. I looked over the images fairly carefully but this is still web res imagery to me and viewing at this resolution the skin looks too lacking in porous texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Thank you for the detailed critique kav. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't really have hair from other frames to pull from. This was just a practice image... not a real job. I didn't really have a vision of turning it into something amazing to begin with, but I wanted to see if I could improve it. I am not using any kind of auto-smoothing functions. I did use frequency separation and dodge and burn. If you have time, I would be curious to have your opinion on a higher resolution file. If you go to the first post I have linked to a flickr file, and if you choose the 'actions' pull down menu in the right hand above the image, you can 'view all sizes' and view the original resolution--it is still a jpeg conversion rather than the tiff but I think it would give you a better idea of how far I have gone on the skin texture. Perhaps it is too far, particularly on the chest, but the chest did not have great texture to begin with and had small black hairs throughout. On the face, I could have gone fore a deeper depth of the pores and could bring that back if you think it would be an improvement. It wasn't really the best photograph in terms of skin to begin with. If you have time, I would love it if you could give me your opinion on the larger resolution. I think I will try one more pass to pop the eye and lip make-up more and bring back the shadows to the pores(on the face, at least). Just trying to get in the habit of a good technique... thanks for the criticisms!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Huh at full res it's not as overdone as it looks in lower res form. Some of it looks good when I view at high res. You still want to watch out for that smeared look some of it takes on. I noticed there's some massive hair removal on a couple areas which is always annoying. How did you go about this? What I can see on those areas is that it has an abrupt interruption of the normal texture. If I couldn't prevent this I would rebuild it. I could probably make the hair just the way I'd want it from this one frame personally, but it would be a matter of how much time I wanted to spend. The shot feels more about the makeup anyway.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques