RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Wedding postprocessing idea, critique needed

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Wedding postprocessing idea, critique needed

Hello, I need your critique on an image I'm working on. The picture will be used on a full page and is intended to be a pause/break in the album. The newlywed couple is young and they like grungy, unusual styles. What do you guys think of the processing?? Thanks for your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (98.0 KB, 213 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Re: Wedding postprocessing idea, critique needed

The processing looked great to me. Really depends on your clients which you will know better than forum members like myself.

I personally found the background distracting with little portions of other wedding party members (or others) partially showing at the sides and in between the main subjects. Not sure the rest of the background added value for you clients or not. I know you only asked about processing so similar to all advice, toss if not desired/needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Patron

A different wedding take than I normally see.

From a personal perspective the magenta'ish cast on the mens trousers does not look quite right.

Like John I too found the background distracting particularly the sign which seems to draw the eye (mine at least!). If you were the photographer then I guess you are free to do as you will with the image - if it was my image I think I would be tempted to completely hide the sign and throw the background quite OOF with the exception of the horse and carriage that I assume is part of the wedding
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 AM

Hi guys and thanks a lot for taking some time to reply to my thread!

Russian weddings are quite different from the traditional ones in the West!! ))
This shot was taken during the "sightseeing" (can't find a better word to describe it) stage were basically the couple visits some interesting and traditional spots in the city while drinking, fooling around and having fun with some of the guests. As this was a non-planned photograph it has a more journalistic side to it, and I had to shot it quickly while the subjects were walking towards me (leaving virtually no time to think a lot about the background).

I do agree that the background is a bit distracting, that is the reason why I chose to add the vignette to focus a little bit more of attention to my subjects... maybe I should try to blur more the background, or maybe I should just leave it untouched because, as I said, the sightseeing stage is important and the environment adds to the memories of that very moment.

PS. The magenta cast is something I already fixed in a more updated version of this photo, thanks for pointing out that though! ))
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Patron

Quote:
maybe I should try to blur more the background, or maybe I should just leave it untouched because, as I said, the sightseeing stage is important and the environment adds to the memories of that very moment.
Ahh, now I see and in that case my view completely changed and I would, I think, leave the background as is - might still be tempted to hide the sign though (if not a relevant part of the sightseeing)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Ahh, now I see and in that case my view completely changed and I would, I think, leave the background as is - might still be tempted to hide the sign though (if not a relevant part of the sightseeing)
Hehe, definitely the signs need to disappear then ))

Thanks a lot Tony!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM

I get the "grunge" aesthetic but I don't like it so much on the faces. The guy with the black shirt looks like he has some kind of dirt on his face and I don't think it is too flattering on his date either... might want to mask that down to less effect.

I also think a rough, paint stroke/graffiti grunge sort of vector mask edge on white might look better then the dark vignette.

Just my opinions, of course...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Personally I would say the picture looks as if it is about the other two pple (lady in blue and a man in black) when in fact we should be focusing on the ones whose wedding it is. My assumption is that the two in white are the ones wedding.
Can you not get another picture in which their faces are seen more??

I do not mean to diss but that's my honest thought.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM

The contrast in trees makes the image a little too hectic I think. I would try reducing the HDRish/contrast effect of the background, and maybe darkening it a bit too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Here's what I'm thinking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro-Graphirus.jpg (91.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by leeviathan; 10-26-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: attachment
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques