RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first time posting here but a beauty shot

Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 AM

My first time posting here but a beauty shot

Well I took this photo earlier today and made my best attempt at editing it while trying to keep the skin texture. Her chest and arms have freckles and i wanted to keep them. Umm i guess thats about it. Also this is my VERY FIRST post! YAY
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/retouchq.jpg/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 AM

Re: My first time posting here but a beauty shot

looks good,but I wolud do some work under the eyes
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 AM

I think it looks good. Maybe would have made her irises "pop" a little more. Is that a scar on her left hand or something that happened when you were working on the photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Honestly, I feel like the image has lost some depth, from eliminating too much of the tonal/color contours of the face. The highlighting you have done actually makes the nose and cheeks look wider. Personally, I would prefer to see this image with more of the natural highlight and shading, but with smoother transitions than the original. I would also do more dodge and burn to eliminate the darker pigment spots over the forehead, under the eye, etc. There are still some inconsistencies around the chin as well.

For my tastes, the image is too desaturated. I don't really care for those gray tones in the shadows... makes the skin look too much like a mannequin. The coloring on the face, particularly the forehead, seems too uniform, as if it were painted over it with one color on color mode. I understand that the skin tone was difficult due to orangey foundation make-up. If you must overlay color, consider using a gradient map so that there is hue variation and always use it on a very, very low opacity.

A band-stop filter on reduced opacity over the chest area will de-emphasize the freckles which are drawing too much attention. (Or there there are a number of other techniques you can use there)

And yes, I agree that you might want to do some sharpening and dodging to really bring out the irises. This model has very beautiful eyes with a beautiful eye color, you should try to highlight that more.

It looks good, but I am just pointing out things I see that I think could make for an even better retouch.

Cheers,
Amy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Thank u so much so for in depth critique!

And thanks everybody for posting too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 PM

I may be a bit late here but I think you may have gone slightly too far on the color.

I don't really understand the work. The forehead lost detail and some of the lighting, yet the eye veins and smudgy looking foundation remain. I think you're going after the wrong things and you're being too rough with large brushes (looking at the loss of detail around the mouth). I would start over, and when you do, make a blank layer where you can draw notes of anything you wish to change. Just look at the image as a whole, and draw up notes for yourself. it should help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques