RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Re: A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

Thank you all so much.

I gave my best to incorporate all the advice into the retouch.

So... this is the comparison between the original and the current state:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6...ed6e5214_b.jpg

And the retouched version by itself:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6...643cc8af_b.jpg

More feedback is always welcome.

Last edited by skoobey; 01-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Sorry for guessing IHP... it kinda had that look to it because at this resolution the skin seemed to have a sort of repetitive evenness (which can also happen with frequency separation sometimes.).

It looks nice. You put a lot of work into that image and it shows. I like the mouth. Personally, I would dial down the saturation on the eyes and maybe add a little silvery highlight back to the outer brow/lid, but that's my own personal taste.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 AM

Newbie Re: A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

Don't apologize, things are what they are, and I can notice it too, mostly on the camera/left cheek.

I usually describe that appearance as the "texture looking separated from the color, as if that it's floating on top".

Silvery highlight is a good idea, sort of a a color gradient on the eyelid. I'll give it a shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Next image

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6...a74d8b1c_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM

that fixed image looks much better now. the makeup on the eye makes more sense, even if its still an odd concept by the makeup artist.

the new image looks good as well, though i find both of them TOO perfect (if there is such a thing in retouching), at least on the cheeks. the skins gotten to a point of just being a fuzzy peach. i said before SOME pores would be nice... doesnt have to be many but i think it will help the cheeks look more natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm not going into too much here. You should really look at the lighting in the eyes when you shoot it. If relighting in post, you need to look at more reference material with really well lit eyes. It simply doesn't behave the way you have it in the first image. The second (applying makeup) you didn't seem to brighten them in such an odd way. I think you need to be more gentle with your work, and maybe get away from such reddish skin. The saturating and tone throws me off quite a lot. I'd also like to see some manner of tapering to the lighting rather than the detail just halting. This is a really common thing of using too much contrast to attempt to add shape and depth. Bleck I'd like to show you what I mean but I probably wouldn't get around to it.

By the way, I barely touch the clone tool or healing brush on anything more than specs. They're almost a last resort, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM

@kav

I really appreciate you going into such in-depth analysis of my work. I get that the eyes are wierd, but as I showed them to the agency before posting this, they loved that marble look and I couldn't change a thing. I get that the lighting is off. I still think it looks attractive, not to say good.

I didn't quite get the detail halting part of your comment, would you care to explain in more depth?

Sure, the eyes are darker in the second image, I chose to keep them that way as they were almost completely closed.

I do use healing to much perhaps, I'm just not skilled enough with it.

The toning is always problematic as I constantly compensate for the certain print.

@ Eikon

I would gladly add some pores where there were none initially, but I just simply have no idea how to do so. Sharpening it won't work as it emphasizes small powder residue and makes skin look really dry. If you have a link relaying to this topic, I'll be obliged to take a look?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Oh if it was makeup city, ya i guess there would be no pores to enhance. Iv only ever played around with non make up images when i fiddle with retouching, so i just assume theyr in there somewhere.

I wonder if someone's made a pore brush?!... For those times when you need more pore(s)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
@kav

I really appreciate you going into such in-depth analysis of my work. I get that the eyes are wierd, but as I showed them to the agency before posting this, they loved that marble look and I couldn't change a thing. I get that the lighting is off. I still think it looks attractive, not to say good.

I didn't quite get the detail halting part of your comment, would you care to explain in more depth?

Sure, the eyes are darker in the second image, I chose to keep them that way as they were almost completely closed.

I do use healing to much perhaps, I'm just not skilled enough with it.

The toning is always problematic as I constantly compensate for the certain print.
I should clarify a couple things here. I liked that you didn't mess with them on the second image. They don't need to be open further, and they look good dark there. It's not a matter of skill with the healing brush. Yes it's possible to place and sample well, but I never liked the results. I've tried it a million different ways, yet when I click the work on and off, it's slightly disruptive to the texture even if well placed. It's not that you can't use these things for anything. Just don't over use them. Try waiting until the end and only use it on the small stuff. The problem is that some of these tools are pretty rough on the data, and it doesn't become apparent until you've gone over the image to a fair degree.

I still think the color is weird. If you're compensating for it printing in a weird way, I would make a custom adjustment for that and only apply it to those files being sent to stated printer. Even the eyes look red to me.

Regarding detail there are two issues. Your highlights are breaking in detail, where they don't in the initial image. Your shadows just go straight to shadow. Rather than a falloff anywhere, you go from detail to basically darkness. It's not solid black, but you don't feel anything of the hair. In the end you're left with heavy shadows, breaking highlights and possibly more midtone contrast than you'd need with better lighting control in shooting or post. This extra contrast is contributing to the skin hue shift and causing you to retouch your skin harder for a smooth feel which then creates other issues. You should study eyes. Go to google images. Bring up hundreds of photos. Use them for reference material so you can study the effects of different lighting situations on the eyes. The thing is they can say they like it now because they're lacking the vision for this stuff.

Okay perhaps that wasn't well structured but I'm trying to write a lot of information without taking forever.

Edit: don't add fake pores, that is just silly
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM

@ Eikon

All that I can see are small hairs (those light blonde ones) coming through the foundation. There must be some sort of procedure to increase this local contrast, and I have tried different blurs and high passes, yet it never gives pores that "pop". It just ends up looking oversharped, and this raw is way too sharp to begin with.

This is my first detailed beauty retouch, so I think I fared quite well, I just don't know when to stop and when it's perfect enough.

I was referring to pores more in terms of local contrast adjustments and sharpening, no I wouldn't really paint them spot by spot.

@ kav

Oh, I see what you're saying. First, may I just say WELCOME TO THE CANON 1000D. It always forces the blacks onto an image, creating that effect as if the blacks were dialed way up during the conversion, which would never be a problem by itself, but I love harsh shadows, and the processor in the camera always reinterprets it this way.

The even higlights with no detail are, obviously my fault, a mistake I shall say. I just became so obsessed with her looking sweaty, and wanted to get that fixed that I lost the big picture, but I just didn't realize what I did untill just about now?

About the color, those would be really desaturated prints, but at the same time, I guess I'm scared, if that's the right term, of desaturating the image back down, because I often look at my work on other monitors and I am shocked how b&w they look. Having said that, I do have an adequate monitor that has been calibrated recently, and I want other people to see almost what I'm seeing, knowing that most of them are using horrible 50$ TFTs.

Last edited by skoobey; 01-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques