RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Red face A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

This image is a part of a set, yet I can't seem to get around resizing them and uploading them to flickr, I shall do it ASAP, but you're not missing much as the make-up is pretty similar in all 3.

State your opinions, I want to know everything I'm doing wrong.

Image I originally posted here:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6...8d509851_b.jpg

Image after the comments and suggestions:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6...643cc8af_b.jpg

NEXT IMAGE

It's hardly a reason to open a new thread just to add more images from the same shoot.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6...a74d8b1c_b.jpg

Last edited by skoobey; 01-17-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: next image added
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Wink Re: A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

" In our family we don't run around cryin' and actin' sad; we just dust our shoulders off and keep on movin' "
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Re: A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

hi,
just a novice so take my opions as a grain of salt as far as evaluating beauty retouches...

1. The left eye below the iris.. a white spot .. maybe that suppposed to be a twinkle but it definitely caught too much of my eye....
2. above the left eyebrow... you got a dark shadow and that doesn't seems proper considering the light direction... but i maybe wrong...
3. don't know about this... on both eyes , between the eyelid and eyebrow... and this may be proper it just haven't seen that before.... lot of lines... normally i see that area failry smooth... so it maybe proper...
4. don't have the orginal to look at but and it maybe just the perspective but below of the left eye brow athat areas looks fatter or puffier than the right side ..

I like your work very much I wish i could do a tenth as well as you .... and soon you'll be getting evals from people more qualified than me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 PM

I agree with Jerryb on everything he has pointed out and I also think you could subdue the highlight in the inside corner of the corner of the eyes and slightly smooth out the texture under the eyes.... more so under the left eye.

Other than those comments I think you did a very nice job on the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Newbie Re: A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

I shall get down to business asap tomorrow morning. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Funny thing, but that artificial-looking shadow above the monitor-left eyebrow is the actual make-up, the same sort of eye-shadow used for the eyelids, and somewhat on the cheeks. That is the make-up artist's concept.

As far as the twinkle goes, I shall reduce it and also add some more texture to the eye as it is looking rather dull compared to the other one.

This was the first shoot for this model, and it took ages, yet I think she learns fast and produced some rather good "beauty" expressions. Don't know how much you can see it in this example, as I worked hard on it, but she had some really strong hairs above her lips. Apart from that, her skin is pretty much FLAWLESS, not that I didn't do extensive healing.

P.S. It is clear to me which side is which by your comments, yet I would rather appreciate if people actually used terms "camera left, monitor left", or "model's left" instead of just left or right (which I usually understand as camera left or right, as that is the way most people perceive things).

Also, funny thing how inexperienced models have no idea which limb is left, ahaha so I have to do all sorts of pointing and saying things like "front leg" or "top arm".

Last edited by skoobey; 01-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Patron

Skoobey,

Nice skin work, nice lighting work, nice hair work.

One question, though -- are her eyes really that big compared to the rest of her face?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Yes, they are, only transforming done was on the neck to make it appear longer and more slender.

They seem more pronounced as i did shade them to give them more pop, as i did to the rest of the face.

And the only reason I'm answering this in the middle of the night is the damn push-email.

Last edited by skoobey; 01-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Theres some dark blobs at the jaw line... Just left of the mole.

To me, the tops of her eyes look too plump. Like she got punched... On both sides!

Mighg be the resolution of this image, but it would be nice too see some pores around the cheeks... Not just skin texture.

The dodging, or whatever you did on the eye whites, is too soft. Its giving the iris s dark shadow look on the outside edge. Tighten up that mask.

Lose the concept makeup above the eye. Adds to the i just got punched look. Concept or not, if its detracting from the image, lose it. Or maybe change its color so it looks like makeup and not a shadow. Maybe some accompanying color on those plump eyes too would help sell it as makeup.

The ear looks blurred. If you blurred it, throw some noise back ontop. Its too smooth right now. Same with the neck.

Might be nice to see some hair detail rather than just a black edge... Even if its just an inch so we know she does indeed have hair.

Paint out that line on the metal of the brush, and smooth the highlight.

Theres a little white blob above the right eye... Right on the border of the hair shadow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 AM

I also thought that the eyes seemed to be enlarged. I guess that model just has large eyes (or should I say, a small skull)

I'd also agree you should get rid of that dark make-up above the eyebrow. Add a bit more shading to reduce the puffy/plump look above eye. Even out the transitions of the eye make-up.

Even out the color and saturation a bit more. For example, it looks much more orangey above the right/monitor left eyebrow.

I'm really not crazy about this IHP/degrunge method of skin smoothing. It does not look natural. Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong but there is evidence of this method in the dark halo on the jawline which needs to be masked out.

Also, as previously mentioned, the blurring and dodging on the eyes does not read as natural to me. Her eyes look more like beautiful marbles, but it is not a realistic effect in my opinion.

Her fingernails are kind of unattractive and could be improved. I'd like to see more detail on the neck and shoulder.

Some things I really like: The lighting is good. The focus is good. The model has nice features. The pose is good(though I might de-emphasize the index finger by making it more shaded).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Newbie Re: A beauty image. Let me know my mistakes.

About the makeup above the eyebrow, I just can't remove it as the make-up artist insists on it. I will try to change it.

Puffy/plump look of the eyelid is ENTIRELY my fault, as it was much less pronounced initially.

No IHP was used. I shall take a look at the jaw line, it could be a poorly done dnb job.

Pupils were initially way to open, so I had to transform the eye center to reduce them. I haven't used blur on the eyes, the ear, the neck area, nor anywhere else on this particular image.

The hand is not her's, obviously it's make-up artists hand (and quite a manly hand indeed). This is my fault, I probably should have added her hands in the frame as well.

And the color is something that definitely requires my attention.

Thanks folk. I will get back to you in an hour or two, as I have to finish my breakfast.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques