RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room


Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Advertise Here

critique please

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
OTTORETOUCH OTTORETOUCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LONDON
Posts: 5
Smile critique please

Hello, I just finished retouching this image and I have the feeling it's slightly flat. Can you tell me where I went wrong please.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/mem...an-bourson.jpg

you can get the rollover here :

http://jejland.deviantart.com/art/PRETTYLADY-283808089

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM
sidduhe sidduhe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Re: critique please

looks fine....umm...but i think you should put the link for original too...so it can be more verified..... :P
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 AM
OTTORETOUCH OTTORETOUCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LONDON
Posts: 5
Smile Re: critique please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidduhe View Post
looks fine....umm...but i think you should put the link for original too...so it can be more verified..... :P
Hey, thanks for the answer. The original is in the second link, rollover, just underneath the link to the retouched picture. Is it not working?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
skoobey skoobey is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 418
Thumbs up Re: critique please

I know I sure am no good at retouching, but things are what they are.

If you want to something to be blurry, you blur it- background, distracting element in the foreground, spinning wheel or a fan, or if you want to add to the effect of speed or throw something out of focus.... If you want something to be clean and smooth, you even out the tones and the light. So it would be better to DNB that cheek, no point in blurring it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM
OTTORETOUCH OTTORETOUCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LONDON
Posts: 5
Re: critique please

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I know I sure am no good at retouching, but things are what they are.

If you want to something to be blurry, you blur it- background, distracting element in the foreground, spinning wheel or a fan, or if you want to add to the effect of speed or throw something out of focus.... If you want something to be clean and smooth, you even out the tones and the light. So it would be better to DNB that cheek, no point in blurring it.
Thanks for the advice. Thing is, I did not blur the cheek. But I know now that I overdid the D&B. Cheers though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Repairman's Avatar
Repairman Repairman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 534
Re: critique please

I like how you've handled the cut out hair and the cold caste you've added to blend with the new background colour. Nice job.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Mike Needham's Avatar
Mike Needham Mike Needham is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 543
Re: critique please

General retouch is fine, I have more of an issue where you have blended the background with the lace element at the top, oh and maybe tone down the purple eye-shadow a little or change the hue to a complimentary colour from the image.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Repairman's Avatar
Repairman Repairman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 534
Re: critique please

Yeh, I wondered about that too. At first I thought it was moire but the effect is so blatant that I put it down to the op's preference.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
capice capice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 178
Re: critique please

D&B to get a bit more contrast in the facetones maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 AM
OTTORETOUCH OTTORETOUCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LONDON
Posts: 5
Re: critique please

Now I look back at the picture, I think I really botched it lol. Poor photographer, lucky it was only for practice purposes. The pattern on the wall was there, it's an old wall paper. The cut out of her hais is horrible and I even took out some of the wallpaper pattern off correcting the hair.
I D&Bed the face so intensely it looks fake. I am gonna put this one behind me lol. Thanks for all your comments guys.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
kav kav is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 575
Re: critique please

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTORETOUCH View Post
Now I look back at the picture, I think I really botched it lol. Poor photographer, lucky it was only for practice purposes. The pattern on the wall was there, it's an old wall paper. The cut out of her hais is horrible and I even took out some of the wallpaper pattern off correcting the hair.
I D&Bed the face so intensely it looks fake. I am gonna put this one behind me lol. Thanks for all your comments guys.
You noticed one problem out of many. Picture her face in three dimensions and how the light would fall on it. Then tell me how you picture the shape along her cheek and jaw. To me it feels very convex where it was initially flat or concave, then there are a few flat spots. It also goes flat along the temple. The hair has a lot of smudging. It's just a matter of considering shapes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Andymania Andymania is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 49
Re: critique please

The skin is a little too ceramic like my friend. I do like the the overall color balancing and I agree with Mike that perhaps toning down the saturation of the purple eye shadow would be beneficial too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
JDClosser's Avatar
JDClosser JDClosser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 35
Re: critique please

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTORETOUCH View Post
Thanks for the advice. Thing is, I did not blur the cheek. But I know now that I overdid the D&B. Cheers though.
Did you use portraiture?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wedding postprocessing idea, critique needed Graphirus Critiques 12 01-04-2012 09:06 PM
Critique My Website & Retouching! nick24a Critiques 4 09-21-2011 03:56 AM
Critique Away! DoubleXX Critiques 3 07-22-2011 04:17 AM
Critique CoreyByas Critiques 1 11-02-2010 07:03 AM
Please critique my new site Jeanine_NY Your Website 7 10-27-2010 08:58 PM

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2014 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved