RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

in the Classic style

Old 08-06-2002, 12:05 PM

Nope. didn't mean that you should just go back to square one... it was just a question out of curiosity, since you make so many CG paintings, I was just wondering if you ever did 'real' painting, that's all...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 01:21 PM

a study

this is a first for me, a study to access things going on in the painting so that it may be better presented, more accurate rendering, etc. I did this study to look at color blending, to see if it could be improved, and to check for web compatability. In fact, part of the test is this posting. We're getting into very painterly stuff now, so lightweights beware.
I did a curves to darken, and a contrast increase to look for mistakes. I also wanted to test an idea of adding purple to the back area. This is quite painless with a screen cap.
To make the new color blend in properly, I took a sample of the area I was considering, then checked the SAT and Light. I then picked a purple and set the Sat and Light to the same values as the sampled color, and applied it as on this picture. The value in this lesson is this can be done anywhere. Say, your doing a colorization of Ruby Tuesday, and you want to change a gray tone to a color, measure the values, duplicate them in your color, and it should blend into your work much better than just picking a color. HTH
greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg study cap1.jpg (92.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 06:19 AM

More to come

There's still more to come, if my one fan cares. I worked last nite til after four am. It's getting close.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 06:27 AM

These threads have a life of their own, I take my eye off the ball for a second and they have the momentum of a runaway train

Really loving the progress so far, the changes that you have made so far make the painting sing. I love the way that unexpected colours are blended in to create a believable and realistic feel.

Can I ask what mediums you choose when you are building this up? I think I can detect a pastel/chalk facet, but also paint - I thought it might be useful to others to know what your tools were in the creation of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 11:25 AM

Can I ask what mediums you choose when you are building this up? I think I can detect a pastel/chalk facet, but also paint - I thought it might be useful to others to know what your tools were in the creation of it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah sure, PSP 7
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 01:02 PM

That's not what I meant and you know it to be clearer, I mean this, as a real artist uses certain materials, be they chalk, watercolour, oils, charcoal etc.. so the digital artist (YOU) also use certain simulated materials. In short, what did you use in this "painting"? (answers of mouse/tablet will be met with tears)

Last edited by T Paul; 08-15-2002 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 01:26 PM

You can't use that word here, as Doug censored me for the same word.

I really was puzzeled by ur Qs, what materials, I use a chalk brush for painting on this, but I change all the time.
I'm using a chalk setting for the smudge too, but I don't ever use the stock settings. Is that what you mean, as I sure wouldn't wanna make you cry. PSP does not have brushes for Oils, or Pastels, like Painter and PS, but it works in it's own way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 10:03 PM

Finished?

A lot of you can relate to this, is it done, did I fix every little niggling thing? Will I look at it later and hate it, probably. I usually like my stuff for a few weeks or so, and then start to dislike it. That's why I can't finish some things, they just become ugly. Anyway here it is, but I don't know if it's done, we'll see, you tell me.
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg classicstylecap4.jpg (94.2 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 10:10 PM

I love it Greg... please say this one is a keeper and it's done!

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 10:42 PM

Wow! I'm with Lisa on this one. Please say it's finished - I can't think of what else you could do to improve it!
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques