RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critiques Appreciated

Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 AM

Critiques Appreciated

Hi there. I'm brand new here and haven't been doing retouching very long although I've been using Photoshop for three and a half years.

This is my first attempt using frequency separation and a little D&B, I'd been using mostly brushwork and more complicated and destructive methods in the past. I'm not very good at taming hair at the moment, and I had a little bit of trouble with the very bottom chest, right near the neck of the shirt - something went funny in my high pass layer and I couldn't figure out what it was, so I tried to fix it up to the best of my ability.

Original
After

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Re: Critiques Appreciated

Stop using DNB to make face absolutely perfect, it doesn't have to look perfect, it just has to look right. Also, don't fiddle with the skin tones globally, adjust the saturation locally after you dnb.

It seems as if you were first completely flattening the skin, than trying to bring back the shape. Don't.

You are obviously skilled at dnb and can contour quite well, use that to your advantage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Thank you for the advice on the skin tone part. But I suppose I should be more specific - I used hardly any DNB at all. This was my first time doing it and it's only being used for contouring at the very end, a big brush along the nose/forehead highlights and cheekbone/nose shadows. The rest was a lot of healing/cloning on the high pass layer, I guess that's what you mean where you said I was trying to make it absolutely perfect.

Can I ask what you mean by it seeming that I was completely flattening out the skin and then trying to shape it later?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM

It is just not the same face. She looks like a doll. Which is a look some people prefer ( I see you looove Andrej and Lili), but it is not a "real" look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM

I can see it now, I think maybe I'd been staring at it too long while I worked on it to really notice. Besides the part about not overdoing the DNB to make it perfect, do you have any other advice on how I can make sure that doesn't happen? I don't want to end up making the same mistakes again as I practice, better to nip it in the bud.

(I have no idea who Lili is, actually! I've never heard that name before. I do love Andrej, though.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 AM

Just take breaks every half an hour.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques