Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Naomi, critique please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 AM

Naomi, critique please

Hey folks !
I had a bit of time so decided to process an image that my friend took other day.

before
after

Any clues on fixing hairs? (I know, hairs again, I just cant get any good solution on going around without making them look fake)

thanks for your time !

Last edited by shfxx; 03-16-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 AM

Re: Naomi, critique please

Hey guys, nobody wants to share any ideas around it? I will take a hit ! thanks for your time !
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM

IMO, it needs some more work: D B, sharpening etc. Still look blurry, nothing personal, perhaps the pic is not suitable for retouching...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 PM

? Before and some after still looks like she has a Bunch of oil or glitter oil on her face?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Good work!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM

It's a nice job in the most for my taste. You may have made it a little 'flat' and I would be tempted to re-introduce some depth (shading) to our left side of her cheek by the nose and under eye. You have also managed to lose the definition, or at least perhaps add more definition of the bridge of the nose and the face.

Not sure about the hair contrast/colour boost. Some of the definition in the hair has become lost to the blacks too. I also would have left the lips as is, but I know plenty more that might recommend a quick liquify to close the gap of the lips to hide the teeth.

*edit* had a look at your images with a gradient map and it does look like you have done a great job of unifying tones, perhaps I may have been harsh to call it 'flat'. */edit*

Last edited by Mike Needham; 03-14-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 AM

Hey guys big thanks for your time and your opinions.

Quote:
IMO, it needs some more work: D B, sharpening etc. Still look blurry, nothing personal, perhaps the pic is not suitable for retouching...
I would not say it is blurry anywhere... but different opinion counts !

Quote:
Before and some after still looks like she has a Bunch of oil or glitter oil on her face?
Would that be glitter oil or the burns out of the light? Sure more burning in would fix the problem. Lesson learned.

Quote:
You have also managed to lose the definition, or at least perhaps add more definition of the bridge of the nose and the face.
I think I got tempted by direction of light, where it would look unnatural where you have frontal lighting and suddenly nose has a definition. Considered this issue during retouch, and decided to leave it like that. I would say you are right that it should be more visible.

Quote:
but I know plenty more that might recommend a quick liquify to close the gap of the lips to hide the teeth.
Wanted to do it but did not even attempt it. Just thought to leave it like that.

Thanks lads again for your time. Another point of views, another learnings that will bring up to the next work. Cheers !
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 AM

In addition what has already been remarked, the model's left eye's white may have been slightly over-done; perhaps a wee bit of shading to give the eye depth and shape.

For hair, I would consider some creative cloning to fill in the ends as it appears slightly...straggly. With this fuller appearance, especially on the model's left, the contrasting darker shades could then be pulled back a bit and allow the shaded are to retain its detail.

Overall, I think the end result works.