Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first post, looking for critique [retouching]

Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Re: My first post, looking for critique [retouchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
The skin in a natural look.

See the skin texture.
That still isn't what I'd call natural. It looks like the old blur and high pass thing. People on here used to call it "degrunge". From a janitorial perspective on the image, I don't like to change any detail beyond what needs it. Beyond that you can adjust things to taste, but it's nice to be able to get to a point where it appears as if they just look good. I was going to mess with it for a couple minutes to show what I meant, but the file is small and sharpened (bad combination) so I lost interest as it would have taken longer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM

I don't really like Cupcake's variant either - the blemishes are not very good covered, but still it's blurred and not very detailed. The lips look as if the've been colored with brush tool.

Here is one new thing I've done today. I hope I've got the notes. No blurring. I really like the skin, but the hair - not so much. Where the stray hairs have been removed, on the left, it's too obvious, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I saw one tutorial where the guy was drawing hairs, but the problem is I'm not working with a tablet and it's a bit hard with the mouse.
So, what do you think?
https://odesk-prod-att.s3.amazonaws....PsMPEUzDgZs%3D
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldroks View Post
I don't really like Cupcake's variant either - the blemishes are not very good covered, but still it's blurred and not very detailed. The lips look as if the've been colored with brush tool.

Here is one new thing I've done today. I hope I've got the notes. No blurring. I really like the skin, but the hair - not so much. Where the stray hairs have been removed, on the left, it's too obvious, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I saw one tutorial where the guy was drawing hairs, but the problem is I'm not working with a tablet and it's a bit hard with the mouse.
So, what do you think?
https://odesk-prod-att.s3.amazonaws....PsMPEUzDgZs%3D
Bleh I've never seen a good tutorial on drawing them. They always try to do it in one stroke. You have to refine things to really match what is there, and it can be tough. This is a definite improvement. You're still blocking up that eye. There are still a few consistency issues and things that I think are blemishes, but I'm not 100% sure. It's definitely night and day from what you posted before.

You mentioned a mouse. If I may offer a suggestion, turn off mouse acceleration completely. Bring up the preference for mouse mapping/speed. Turn it down a bit. Try writing your name in PS. Try doing some basic shapes like squares, triangles, circles, etc. Do these on layers with only one layer visible at a given time. See what setting allows for the most natural feel. Acceleration is terrible for this stuff though. If the slower mapping is problematic for getting to tool palettes and stuff, you may find yourself using hotkeys more. I use them for almost everything. A mouse isn't ideal to me. The suggestions are intended to make it as painless as possible. With tablets you still have to find a size and settings that work for you. They're not automatically perfect. Doing stuff on a blank canvas is the way to do preliminary testing though. You aren't distracted by anything else.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques