RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first post, looking for critique [retouching]

Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Newbie My first post, looking for critique [retouching]

Hello everyone,
My name is Christina and it's my first post here. I'm recently working occasionally as a freelancer - mainly doing photo retouching and editing and some graphic design.
I still have a lot to learn and I hope you could help me with this.
I'm attaching one of my favourites.
[Sorry for the caption, but it was for a portfolio in one website...]
I'm all ears
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Re: My first post, looking for critique [retouchin

And of course - forgot to attach the photo
[I'm still not used to this forum and forgive me for just posting the link, but the size for uploading is just 100Kb ] https://www.odesk.com/att/~~8Cen7zpT...cC9Hr*tml5xw==
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM

You might have gone a little too far with the smoothing and your tonal transitions are not smooth on the bridge of the nose and under the nose and the skin texture on the neck is rougher than the face....the upper lip is too dark.... no lip texture visible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have marked up the image with a few issues (as I see them), there is also a suspicion of a slight magenta caste being introduced in the finished image.

The skin transitions could be improved a little further too, perhaps using a solar curve adjustment layer (if you don't already) as a guide would help to identify any potential issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marked-up.jpg (79.9 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Thank you guys.
Wolfman, what do you mean with "no lip texture visible"?
Mike Needham, the magenta effect is there on purpose. Is it bad?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM

It's a subjective choice not a good or bad one really at the end of the day. For my tastes it may be a little vivid, but...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldroks View Post
Thank you guys.
Wolfman, what do you mean with "no lip texture visible"?
Mike Needham, the magenta effect is there on purpose. Is it bad?
Compared to the bottom lip it's much darker and almost looks like a solid color without any definition of the lip surface.... it's very minor and maybe it isn't even a big issue, but if you opened up the exposure on the top lip ever so slightly it might look more natural or darken the lower lip a little.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM

I've been trying to write a good response, but it keeps turning into a novel.

Your problem here is that you're going at it with a sledgehammer. Some areas are overdone and lacking in texture. Some look rougher than they started. While there are varying tastes and disciplines, it's important to be consistent over the image as a whole. When I see much of this stuff, I see people who haven't improved their fundamental skills like drawing/rendering (making a realistic sketch) within photoshop or understanding their subject. By understanding here, I mean understanding the face/anatomy and how such a photo would be used commercially. You're making basically every beginner mistake I can think of, so you would be best off going back and working on these things now rather than dooming yourself to a very very slow progression.

When I look at the original, I can see past the fact that it's flat and she has acne. I can see it as a face and eyes. I can think of areas that could be a little brighter or darker to lend even more shape to it. The photo isn't anything special, but I can still see these things. When I look at the after version, you've removed or simplified a lot of these shapes and nothing agrees with anything else. It goes rough or it goes too soft and loses texture. The color is all over the place, and some of the muscles and bones have turned into flat planes.

I think you need to better understand your subjects. This trends toward an abstract look. Abstract is really difficult to do well. It's easier to start with realistic and go from there to ensure that the changes appear deliberate when you do make them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM

kav, thanks for the exhaustive comment. I appreciate it. I havent really drawn in Photoshop actually... I guess that the lessons I've been learning from are for amateurs retouching. Can you suggest me some online lessons to learn from? I know there are some in this site, but I'm not really into things yet and I can't really understand how it works... Soo I'll be very grateful if you show me something I could learn from. Especially for the skin retouch. I've been doing it with healing brush tool, patch tool and surface blur mainly. The main problem is that there isn't any texture left. There was this topic about the orange peel texture, but I didn't really find anything helpful... I've downloaded some skin-texture brushes, but they aren't very realystic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldroks View Post
kav, thanks for the exhaustive comment. I appreciate it. I havent really drawn in Photoshop actually... I guess that the lessons I've been learning from are for amateurs retouching. Can you suggest me some online lessons to learn from? I know there are some in this site, but I'm not really into things yet and I can't really understand how it works... Soo I'll be very grateful if you show me something I could learn from. Especially for the skin retouch. I've been doing it with healing brush tool, patch tool and surface blur mainly. The main problem is that there isn't any texture left. There was this topic about the orange peel texture, but I didn't really find anything helpful... I've downloaded some skin-texture brushes, but they aren't very realystic.
Unless you're in a good market, I wouldn't get your hopes up here. Anyway what you need isn't really retouching tutorials. Most of the stuff that you want to do is very simple. Blemishes can be rebuilt, cloned, etc. You can use the healing brush, patch tool, whatever. The important thing is that when you do the work, it's seamless. Sometimes this means a little extra shading to ensure that it matches perfectly. With the bigger ones I tend to rebuild them. Beyond that it's a lot of shading things, commonly referred to as burn and dodge, but this is meaningless if you don't understand the subject of the photo.

You don't need skin brushes. You just need texture there to start, then you need to not mess it up. Sometimes a few pores get rebuilt, but that texture is not typically added. They would generally work from what already exists in the image. The thing is not to destroy it, and it's easy to destroy it. You have to be careful. You should check your work often. You should take some drawing courses if they're available. This would help out much more than watching youtube tutorials of someone using a healing brush and never checking their work :p.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you'll still probably hit snags. It's just better to understand some of the stuff I mentioned so you have some direction with this stuff, then ask questions on details when you run into specific problems. Right now you're simply getting ahead of yourself.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques