RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique please!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Exclamation Critique please!

Hi! Before/after http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img1103ox.jpg/

Last edited by AnnaAlef; 04-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Re: Critique please!

I'd like you to look at your muscle shapes here where you drew those highlights. You erased most of the lateral deltoid, part of the latissimus dorsi, and a bunch of other muscles. It appears you were trying to give her a more youthful appearance. Younger women have a little more rounding along the cheekbone than they do as they get older. In this case it's not so prominent, but that's partially due to the fat distribution in her face overall. You should also note that in a more youthful face (again if this is your goal) the muscles surrounding the mouth would still be there. They would just sag less. You should look up some references to see what I mean here. They lose fat in certain parts of their face. I'm not great at describing it, and you'd want to look at reference for a better understanding. If you try to make them look younger without recognizing this, it just ends up looking weird. In retouching, your option is basically to fake this effect via shading/lighting adjustment or just be okay with them looking older. The hair also makes her look older, so the juxtaposition would be a little odd regardless. If I wanted to make her youthful, I'd probably try to add a little body to the hair, but that can be tough.

I wanted to mention the things listed above because I don't think anyone else will mention them. I wish I could explain it better.

Last edited by kav; 04-27-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: fixing mistake
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 AM

I agree with kav about the highlights. First of all, I think they're too strong and not matching the lighting on the face in the original in the first place, making the face look flat, instead of shaping it. Also I can't see much skin texture left from the original(this may be due to the size of the image), and unless you are going for the plastic doll look, the texture must still be visible after the retouching- it just needs to look like great skin. There is a hallo left around the edges of the shoulder showing signs of the liquify you probably used? so you may want to address that. I can see you retouched the flyaway hair at the top of the head, but can't see much work done on the hair's highlights, it doesn't match the general "shiny" look. Another thing about the hair is that the lower body of hair looks blurred when compared to the original photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 AM

Thanks! I have problem with muscle shapes and highlights. I agree with that. Can you recommend any lesson how to highlight/shadow?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 AM

I've talked about this in other threads. If you're having trouble understanding highlights or muscle shapes, you should learn about anatomy. You can find plenty of artist reference material online. If you're having trouble drawing or emphasizing highlights, you should learn about illustration. You also need to understand how to balance the highlights and shadows. Then you basically just adapt much of that into retouching technique. I mean there are many methods of shading a photo. You read about burn/dodge techniques on here frequently. You just don't seem to understand how they apply to describing parts of the body in two dimensions.

While it can be kind of a process, I can't think of any shortcuts for truly understanding the subject matter. I should tell you, these are super common mistakes. I mean most people really don't understand this stuff, and it's a long process. In case you're wondering, I look at reference sometimes. I click layers on and off to check the overall impact. I don't just assume I know everything and will do all of it perfectly every time. Anyway you are much better off trying to understand the subject than you would be just watching retouching tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM

It's good for what it is, having said that she looks like a barbie.

Drawn in shadows make her look retouched, and in general it could be toned down and look much more natural.

One thing I like is the fact you slimmed her back/gave her waist.

There are many beauty images where character lines and facial features are toned down in order to make things look perfect. But they are rarely removed just for the sake of it.

Texture is lacking.

I am not a saint, I am not even a good retoucher per say, but less is more.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques