RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Retouching Insecurity?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Retouching Insecurity?

Please let me know what you think of my retouching!!

You can see some of the stuff I've done at www.flickr.com/heeylaurax!

My friends/family tell me everything looks great, but they're my friends/family. Please be completely honest! I'm young, and I'd like to improve my "technique".

Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Re: Retouching Insecurity?

Hi!

I had a peek at your link. It's good that you realize that friends/family are a poor source of feedback. There are many photographers who never break out of their bad habits because they get so much praise no matter what they do. Your work is at a normal stage in the progression toward good retouching, but I see a few methods you're using which you would be better off without.

Any time you're using blur on the skin, or any technique which eliminates texture (like cloning at low opacity, inverted high pass, reduce noise, etc.), you're committing a no-no. Texture should only be modified, not eliminated. Your friends and family don't know the difference, but photographers and creative agencies do, and they're your real audience.

Also, the images of Brittany Spears and Selena Gomez were retouched before you ever saw them, and they were retouched well. Rather than darkening them (and inadvertantly saturating the colors in your darks), I would take a look at what is already good about those images, and take notes. They are bright, clean, natural-looking images with good skintone. How can you achieve those things?

If you would like to see who the crap is saying all this stuff to you, you can see my work at http://www.braxtonbrucephotography.com. Whenever someone gives you advice, always look at their work before deciding whether to pay attention to what they say or not. There are a lot of fools who want to give advice just to boost their ego, when they really don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato1236 View Post
Hi!

I had a peek at your link. It's good that you realize that friends/family are a poor source of feedback. There are many photographers who never break out of their bad habits because they get so much praise no matter what they do. Your work is at a normal stage in the progression toward good retouching, but I see a few methods you're using which you would be better off without.

Any time you're using blur on the skin, or any technique which eliminates texture (like cloning at low opacity, inverted high pass, reduce noise, etc.), you're committing a no-no. Texture should only be modified, not eliminated. Your friends and family don't know the difference, but photographers and creative agencies do, and they're your real audience.

Also, the images of Brittany Spears and Selena Gomez were retouched before you ever saw them, and they were retouched well. Rather than darkening them (and inadvertantly saturating the colors in your darks), I would take a look at what is already good about those images, and take notes. They are bright, clean, natural-looking images with good skintone. How can you achieve those things?

If you would like to see who the crap is saying all this stuff to you, you can see my work at http://www.braxtonbrucephotography.com. Whenever someone gives you advice, always look at their work before deciding whether to pay attention to what they say or not. There are a lot of fools who want to give advice just to boost their ego, when they really don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input. I will research the methods you described above and improve my technique.

Thank you so much, again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques