Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Photoshop Post Processing Feedback

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Photoshop Post Processing Feedback

I am open to any form of criticism and/or feedback; However, I am primarily interested in comments concerning the post production process. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I use photoshop cs6 for post processing. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ-Banks-CP-Looneys-copy1.jpg (95.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DJ-Banks-cply-2012-web-copy1.jpg (83.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DJ-ETOH-Looneys-Pub-College-Park12.jpg (88.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Re: Photoshop Post Processing Feedback

Hi iGoose, thanks for posting! These are cool shots (I like how even though you used flash you preserved the ambient light from the board and laptop). The "strobe" effect on the moving hand is a lucky accident.

That said, the problem with using flash is the subject is well-exposed, but the background is always lost, creating an artificial sense of the scene. My personal preference is to do something to lighten up the background to create depth.

I took a couple of your shots and applied a couple of Topaz plugins, mainly Adjust and BW Effects. Adjust can do everything from applying subtle tonal fixes to totally reinterpreting the image. I made one image a bit gritty with exaggerated colors while the other is opened up and sharpened/softened at the same time, if that makes sense.

I hope this is what you were looking for (ideas and options), since your originals didn't seem to be post-processed yet.

PS: Because we are working with web-sized JPEGs, there is artifacting present which you wouldn't get with your originals. I just tried Topaz DeJPEG as a test and it reduces the problem (for those cases where lo-res is all you have).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ-Banks-Adjust.jpg (141.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DJ-ETOH-Topaz.jpg (103.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 09-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques