RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

New Website in the works..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM

New Website in the works..

Hello

*** I have read the guidelines to posting on this thread!! I am all for nice constructive critiques and no hating! - (Am I suppose to contact moderator prior to posting?? Wasn't sure.. and am anxious to share my site!)***

Recently been putting together my photography and retouching work on a new website. I have been self teaching myself for about 3 years and have been doing photography since I was 14 or so (about 12 years ago).. Looking to use this site to hopefully land me some sort of job in the city (nyc.)

I know some examples don't feature the best skin smoothing and some little things appear overly sharp (I tried to compensate for internet and other monitors by pushing sharpening a little too far..)

But I am curious as to what others might think of it. Keep in mind I do not have a ton of work under my belt.
Some questions I have - - In my retouching page - should I group multiple shots together or scatter them (in the instances where I have more than one shot of the same person or subject matter?)
Also.. Is it too redundant to have "before" and "After" tags on every example.

I was hoping to figure out how to do roll-over image but after exhaustive research.. and not wanting to learn javascript or other coding.. I just went with the side by side solution..

Interested in thoughts on how I can improve this. I will be doing some jewelry and product shoots over the weekend and hopefully will have some good retouches of them for both my photography port and my retouching.

Also - thoughts on showing a photo in my photo gallery as well as the before and after within my retouching folder... does this do a disservice to my photography? (by taking away the magic - showing the somewhat cruddy shots I took before I fixed them up?)

Here is the site..

http://www.robertdeitmaring.com

It will NOT be launched officially for a couple more days. My old website (which features no retouching and looks fugly is just my name.com... dont bother checking into the old gal..)

Cheers!

[Edit made Feb 7,2012 - updated URL for website]

Last edited by JVEyck309; 02-07-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 AM

Re: New Website in the works..

I think your work is overall really nice! Although I think it's a little inconsistent in quality.
Be really tough when selecting what you put up there. Sometimes we can get a bit blind when it comes to selecting images and one thinks of the hard process of getting there and confusing good work with alot of effort put in.
As you mentioned you dont have alot of work but I would prefer to see ONLY your best. Never add anytnig simply just to add.
Clients that might come to your website will think that you are good but then the see something that is less good. That will scare them becouse then they are worried you will produce not so good work for them.
Site looks nice!
I find the text at the bottom a bit bulky. Less or a lighter shade of grey?

Overall really nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the reply/critique - offcentre.

Just curious as to which images you think are inconsistent (or lower) in quality. Were you addressing just my retouching section or all of the work I have up?
The one jewelry shot of the necklace which is in my 'Product Photography' section as well as my retouching section.. I feel the process I used to sharpen was a bit too much and makes the image feel.. I don't know.. chunky, a bit crunchy looking when the 100% zoomed detail is shown.
But I am curious what an outsider's perspective is on my work.. what work is the most inconsistent (and/or lesser in quality)

(Also - keep in mind the 'Brock Berrigan' section is a fun collaborative project I work on with the artist/musician and some of those shots are not intended to be highly polished finish works but are meant to be fun/snapshot-esque depictions of the character.)

Thanks again for your reply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Oh the first time I had a look only the first two examples loaded on your retouching gallery! The first one is great but the second could use more work. The skin has no texture what so ever (I'm not a fan of softening).
Alot of the rest is a bit over the top (but that's just a taste issue!) It looks good though if you are going for that super sculpted look!

POrtraits: the balloons look really dirty/gray. The guy with guitarr is great. The ladys skit has no texture. Chicken phots are great. Just feel it to be inconsistent
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM

Thanks again for the reply offcentre-

That's interesting..With the second example in the retouching section, did you notice the zoomed in details? I feel like I did a decent job with keeping texture..from memory I recall doing extensive dodge/burning with that and felt like I still kept the texture. I don't recall doing anything destructive to the texture (maybe in a few small areas) I will say that I probably spent way too long smoothening out (dodging/burning) every little tiny area of her so perhaps I should not have done that, too smooth gives the impression there is no detail perhaps? My nitpick with that one is I feel the skin is too saturated, might need to revisit these if they're going to stay on the portfolio..

The hockey/sports ones were meant to be edgy/sculpted - the photographer who shot those was really into Joel Grimes and similar work and wanted the images to be that way.. but I totally understand being averse to this.

Thanks again for your comments!
Curious if anyone else has an opinion on my work!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

I just wrote you a long, long feedback reply, but I guess my login was timed out by the time I finished, so all gone : /

Ok, let's see if I can summarize in a few sentences. Talking about retouching gallery only:

- Pic 1: "Even Further" final version is awesome (fashion feel). I'd take out the middle "After" version. That reminds me of someone who is still feeling out their retouching, isn't sure of what a good final product is, and is looking for feedback on which final product they should go with. You have a great version in the "Even Further", so I'd get rid of the "After", middle, version.

- Pic 2: I though same thing as offcentre ... a little flat, some loss of detail/texture. And it seemed to me like maybe it was b/c work was done too zoomed in for too long ... and that's what you mentioned in your reply to offcentre! I've had the same struggle ... zoomed in we see the differences, so I don't think we realize when things start to go flat. The level to which we're zoomed in and see detail doesn't show when normal people see it zoomed out. If you watch Amy Dresser's videos on this website (specially Elvada), it's surprising how far zoomed out she works (the host even mentions to her his surprise at this too).

Great work with the Joel Grimes look, overall! Guy with hockey stick and Guy with stubble and green shirt (after guy w/ black eye) ... great job! But the guy with the black eye, the guy with the missing tooth, and the guy after the guy with the missing tooth, I think look a little too flat for me. Maybe same thing as Pic 2 ... too much work zoomed in?

Crying girl ... awesome! Nice Jill Greenburg feel The girl with the balloons, the African-American lady with the white dress/shawl, and the girl with the wedding gown ... I think those might be (only in my opinion), the images that I would consider taking out of the portfolio. Those retouching photos are not very compelling, for me, and even though you've done decent work on the retouching, they images themselves seem a little amateurish (good amateurish, but still amateurish) to me. So I feel like they take away from the professional feel of your portfolio.

Hope that helps. Good work! With a few tweaks, I can see such a great, polished feel to your portfolio that will bring you even more work. Best of luck

p.s. - jewelry pic looks great! Exactly what I'd expect to see and have seen in magazines. I wouldn't worry about it being too crunchy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanks SPRQST - Appreciate your input.

For the first example. I understand what you're saying but in my opinion I wanted to show a clean version and the a more stylized/fashion version. My concern was that people may wish to see the clean/professional touch up as well.. I think a solution to this may be to change the "before/after/even further" to being "before/after/color effect" - I get that some may judge this as being indecisive, but I felt it was important to show a range of what an image can become and perhaps the words "even further" may be what is throwing you off or leading someone to thinking I wasn't certain in my actions. Great comment though, appreciate it, it's interesting how different people may interpret this and is something to keep in mind for sure.

Pic 2.. Yeah. Zooming in to 200%- 300% to even out (dodge/burn) miniscule details and transitions ends up ruining the greater whole. A hard lesson to learn because I spent way too many hours trying to showoff my ability and instead I end up doing a bit of a disservice to myself. After all, this image I did for my own portfolio and no one will probably ever see it at 100% or even 50%.. Definitely important to keep in mind what you're retouching for and adjust accordingly.

Hockey retouches (headshots, blackeye, tooth missing) It's interesting that you say these are flat. As I think the opposite.. heavy sculpting and I feel I did keep a good amount of skin texture in these to keep them looking from (as in the second example) overly smooth and flat.

Crying Birthday girl - This is awesome that you mentioned Jillian Greenberg as I did not mention that in my post and that is precisely the look I was trying to emulate (although the shots I was working on were lit very poorly and flat and not nearly as well as she lights her shots with all the edge lights and whatnot.)

As for the balloon shots and the portrait of the black woman, these are definitely the weakest ones there.. My thinking was to just show (for the black woman) simple and clean portrait retouching (b/c I have so many overly stylized ones) and the balloon ones were overdone b/c the makeup was so bad, wanted to get (those who know little about retouching.. which let's face it, are many clients) to have the 'wow factor' of cleaning up all the bad makeup..

Again thanks for the comments! Always interesting to hear from people.
I have a lot of updating to do.. may not get to it for a while (Recently started a retouching position in NYC and have to focus on where the money is coming from first and foremost.)

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Just to clarify, re "black eye/missing tooth/guy after missing tooth", I didn't mean "flat" as in no texture (and I even wondered about the ambiguity as I was writing the original post). Don't get me wrong, these works are done well and are 85%/90% there, but were missing something, in my opinion (the guy with the hockey stik and the guy between "black eye" and "black lady with white shawl" are dead on in the effect you're trying to achieve!! good job).

By "flat' I meant something about the light, maybe, wasn't sitting right. On looking back at them, I think I figured out what it is: your colors with the hockey stick guy and the guy between "black eye" and "white shawl" are really good. I see the effect but the colors still look like skin colors. But with "black eye/missing tooth/guy after", the skin looks very grey. That's what is throwing it off for me. If the skin reflected more skin-like colors (like the first two pics mentioned), I think "black eye/missing tooth/guy after" would settle in much better.

Congrats on the retouching position and best of luck with the portfolio!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Photo of the girl crying in the dress is posted twice. Otherwise very nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Rollom - Nope. Not posted twice.. two different shots from the same shoot.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques