RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first retouch using "professional" techniques.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM
JDClosser's Avatar
JDClosser JDClosser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 35
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Nguyen View Post
Thank for you that. I LOVE what you did with the color!

I'm not sure if its because my work monitor isn't calibrated but on my screen the burning is very intense and there are harsh transitions and funky colors going on in the burned areas on the edges of his face.

Thank you for this example, I appreciate your help A LOT!
A calibrated monitor is your best friend. Thats like step one.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Crystal Nguyen Crystal Nguyen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGarcia View Post
No hard transitions there you are probably used to the over retouched smooth look not fitting for a man. If I did what you are asking there wouldn't be any shape there its a fine line.
THANK YOU for that. See, these are the things I have no way of knowing because, well I don't know- what I don't know lol But I appreciate that insight because you are right, I do admire those retouched images I see in female stores or magazines, I never really thought about what that would do to a man much less realize what I have become "use to" seeing. Thank you for that insight!
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
RobertGarcia RobertGarcia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 77
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Nguyen View Post
THANK YOU for that. See, these are the things I have no way of knowing because, well I don't know- what I don't know lol But I appreciate that insight because you are right, I do admire those retouched images I see in female stores or magazines, I never really thought about what that would do to a man much less realize what I have become "use to" seeing. Thank you for that insight!
One studio does it one way another studio another. The clients dictates how far to go unless you work with a photographer and he lets you do your thing. But I would say they probably wouldn't want a too smooth look removing the shape making the face or limbs looking like a round ball. Just because you see retouching in magazines doesn't mean it's all good it could be that they had a small budget and couldn't get really good retouchers to work on those/that image(s) or that really good retoucher couldn't spend as much time as she/he needed to get it there, lots of variables.
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Crystal Nguyen Crystal Nguyen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

Retouching is so subjective. I find that to be the frustrating part sometimes, knowing that there are different preferences, different ways or different variables and trying to understand what to really take into concrete consideration vs they just don't like that look. I don't cross into the world of retouching/photography often, I'm a designer (typography, layout, etc) but I'm trying to learn more about it retouching, and I find all the subjectivity hard to cipher through at times.

Natalia Taffarel, Amy Dresser, and even Bianca Carosio are retouchers I greatly admire. I forgot which one of them said this but they gave the advice of trying to always look at what is good and training your eye to know what is good.

The magazines I look at frequently are usually woman's fashion magazine (W, Vogue, V, Vanity Fair, even Cosmo for a less high-end look) and I love walking into stores like Mac and Sephora and looking at the images in there. I'm curious to know if you think these images are considered to be "too retouched"? I like that style and I think they look "natural-pefect" (lol) but I'm curious to know what you think and your insights on that because for all I know, me thinking those are good images could be very subjective on my part.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
JDClosser's Avatar
JDClosser JDClosser is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 35
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Nguyen View Post
Retouching is so subjective. I find that to be the frustrating part sometimes, knowing that there are different preferences, different ways or different variables and trying to understand what to really take into concrete consideration vs they just don't like that look. I don't cross into the world of retouching/photography often, I'm a designer (typography, layout, etc) but I'm trying to learn more about it retouching, and I find all the subjectivity hard to cipher through at times.

Natalia Taffarel, Amy Dresser, and even Bianca Carosio are retouchers I greatly admire. I forgot which one of them said this but they gave the advice of trying to always look at what is good and training your eye to know what is good.

The magazines I look at frequently are usually woman's fashion magazine (W, Vogue, V, Vanity Fair, even Cosmo for a less high-end look) and I love walking into stores like Mac and Sephora and looking at the images in there. I'm curious to know if you think these images are considered to be "too retouched"? I like that style and I think they look "natural-pefect" (lol) but I'm curious to know what you think and your insights on that because for all I know, me thinking those are good images could be very subjective on my part.
The magazines I look at frequently are usually woman's fashion magazine (W, Vogue, V, Vanity Fair, even Cosmo for a less high-end look) and I love walking into stores like Mac and Sephora and looking at the images in there. I'm curious to know if you think these images are considered to be "too retouched"?



To Broad with to many variables IMHO. I have retouched for bigger publications...its not what I want to do at all. Ask yourself why you want to. Why do you want to retouch when you have a great portfolio in GD already (I checked your site) If it is a money thing then you are going about it the wrong way. only do this if it makes you happy ok. The deadlines and the stress are not worth it otherwise. My latest are vogue, harpers, elle, marie claire, gq, barneys, and the list goes on......reminds me of mr deeds....I wanted to be a fashion photog (fireman, astronaut, etc) now I cant pass up the money and I retouch for amazing photogs. hope this helped....
Moral of the story is unless you truly, truly want to go full force and be a retoucher....whats the point.
Cheers,
JD
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Crystal Nguyen Crystal Nguyen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDClosser View Post

To Broad with to many variables IMHO. I have retouched for bigger publications...its not what I want to do at all. Ask yourself why you want to. Why do you want to retouch when you have a great portfolio in GD already (I checked your site) If it is a money thing then you are going about it the wrong way. only do this if it makes you happy ok. The deadlines and the stress are not worth it otherwise. My latest are vogue, harpers, elle, marie claire, gq, barneys, and the list goes on......reminds me of mr deeds....I wanted to be a fashion photog (fireman, astronaut, etc) now I cant pass up the money and I retouch for amazing photogs. hope this helped....
Moral of the story is unless you truly, truly want to go full force and be a retoucher....whats the point.
Cheers,
JD

Thank you for compliment on the GD. It's def. not for the money (I was never under the impression that retouchers are livin the high life haha) but to simply answer your question and as silly as this sounds, I love photoshop.

My hand renderings are not very strong, I am not an illustrator. Photoshop is my favorite tool to express myself. This is even more simple-minded, but I REALLY like taking something that exist- and trying to make it look "prettier" (I'm saying this loosely, take it however you please)

I don't care if I may never get to go full force on a piece because client or whatever only has time and money for this to be done, fine. I understand that not everything is going to be fun, I've seen miserable people retouch for catalogs and they look like they are bored out of their minds, but its part of the job. GD is the same thing, I do boring crap I don't want to do, I get ridiculous request and deadline demands by crazy stressed out people (half the time I think yelling this their natural tone haha).

But yea, out of all the things I have done, or can do, with GD- I enjoy it MOST when I get to do any form of photo manipulation (i'm talking for art sake, not even retouch), and for some sick reason I enjoy working on actual people. Making them look better, prettier, more hansom. Removing lines that naturally caused by the way they bend, fixing blemishes, removing fly-aways, smoothing wrinkles on clothing etc...I really like working on those things and seeing my before and afters along the process. I really like doing that.

Although you say "full-force," I'm trying to gradually learn the best practices. It is not my intention, nor my best financial interest, to quit my current career and jump into another career without even establishing a decent skillset lol Would I eventually like a career in retouch? Sure, but i'm okay with slowly transitioning. I don't hate GD and i'm comfortable doing that now, i'm just broadening my horizons and retouch has been on my interest for awhile and is a skillset I would like to add =)
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 AM
capice capice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 178
Re: My first retouch using "professional" techniqu

First retouch with "pro" techniques....wow, I think your level is pretty high....looking for challenges is a good way to improve yourself but don't leave out of site that you have to live.
Many artists are not able to hae a decent life because the lack of income...
Only few do imho.
If you love the work you are doing right now, just take the retouchjobs besides your regular work...you will have the best of both.
Take care
Rich
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feb/Mar 2012 Contest - Beauty Retouch T Paul Contests 38 04-12-2012 03:58 PM
Lingerie shoot, retouch and skin issues annaphoto Photo Retouching 6 02-14-2012 09:38 PM
[Need Help]Muscles Retouch Sohaib Image Help 2 11-11-2011 06:55 AM
Retouch service oovidiu Classifieds 0 10-24-2011 10:33 AM
Product retouch time lapse Phaeton Photo Retouching 2 02-19-2011 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved