RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Review of my photo retouch

Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 AM

Review of my photo retouch

Hi,

Im photographer and retoucher(I hope that I am . Im always using high end techniques as doge and burn for my retouch. Almost nothing else, but lately I got some negative feedback for my retouching. Some of them told me that Im over retouching images. I dont know if its possible with DnB, but if yes, they can be right. Please look at my recent portfolio and tell me what do you think. I would appreciate comments mostly from experienced retouchers, not beginners.

Here you can check it:
http://www.facebook.com/DavidGeskoPhotography

Thank your!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Re: Review of my photo retouch

Your works are good. Some photo are better some less better but generally is ok. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater was blurred, for me to much.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
This is little be flat (shadow, highliths)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Photography-vise you've got your own direction, doing your own thing. Some are pretty trashy, but considering that it is probably what clients wanted, you're doing good.

Retouching-vise... well most of the shots are seriously under-exposed, the colors are sort of bland, especially in the skin(lots of desaturated yellows and greens), and skin is supposed to look pink/red.

DNB? Looks like high amount of blur to me. Inverted high pass is still essentially BLUR. You should really tone down the use of it.

I put DNB into 2 categories:

1. skin smoothing and removing distractions.
2. accentuating the features you want to"pop"

When you blur things, you loose most of the detail, and there is nothing to accentuate, not to mention that it more often than not looks worse than the raw.

Watch your histogram on the set, and stop using blur and you'll be golden.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Photography-vise you've got your own direction, doing your own thing. Some are pretty trashy, but considering that it is probably what clients wanted, you're doing good.

Retouching-vise... well most of the shots are seriously under-exposed, the colors are sort of bland, especially in the skin(lots of desaturated yellows and greens), and skin is supposed to look pink/red.

DNB? Looks like high amount of blur to me. Inverted high pass is still essentially BLUR. You should really tone down the use of it.

I put DNB into 2 categories:

1. skin smoothing and removing distractions.
2. accentuating the features you want to"pop"

When you blur things, you loose most of the detail, and there is nothing to accentuate, not to mention that it more often than not looks worse than the raw.

Watch your histogram on the set, and stop using blur and you'll be golden.
Thank you for your response. Its however shame that for you it looks like a blur. I never ever blur - nothing else, no inverted high pass. Always use clone stamp for removing the blotches, but really only for them and try tu use it as little as possible and then DnB.

Maybe the problem will be here... in DnB. Im doing it until I see a perfect skin. That means some(many) of my images were retouched - only DnB - over 10 hours.

Thank you for pointing out the skin tone... I have definitely problem with setting the skin tone correctly. Almost every time I do it manually and therefore every image has different tone and coloring. I do not have good monitor, work on laptop screen (ouch, that will hurt...Im prepared), but soon Im goint to buy a new one.

Ive seen a lot of retouching videos and tutorials, but for me the best was the Natalia Taffarels DVD video tutorial. Love it and Im doing it exactly in that way as she is doing. Not because I decided to copy it, but because that workflow seem to be the best for me.

So what would you change?

Correcting skin tones - curves? hue/sat? gradient map? Color layer? What is the best? RGB, LAB, CMYK mode? etc...

And how about DnB....maybe I can find a photohop file with all the layers and post it, if it helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Well, what I can tell is that you really have a problem with shaping, you're using a big brush and that sort of smudges everything (when you add in your highlights).

It really is about experience, I mean, I was doing the exact same thing just a year ago.

It doesn't need to look perfect, it needs to look even, and you have to consider the size an image will be viewed at.

If it's going to print at 8x10, I am only going to zoom in so far, and the only exception is the face, where I get into it a bit more.

There are no inspectors to tell you that at 100% this pore isn't even.

Color-vise, well, I am still training m eyes, but I can give you this advice. Convert, convert, convert. If you convert something, then you save it, then you compare that to an inspirational or whatever other image, and it doesn't look quite right, you go and convert it again. Taking that hour to convert the first image from a set, will save you 10s of hours, because you just follow it's lead when converting all the others.

And also, everytime you under or over expose in a camera, you loose the impact of an image. Try to be in =-0.5 stop range.

I, myself, still mess up the exposure here and there, when the "model" is really terrible and moves every which way, and there is simply no other mean to capture any sort of pose but to move with him/her. But that's rare, and even then no more than 0.6.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques