Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Retouch critique

Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Retouch critique

Hey Everyone,

I would like to ask you for honest opinion about my retouch:

CLICK !

Thanks for critiqual evaluation of my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Re: Retouch critique

looking good, but in need of some more love.
first two things that grab my attention are the shadow on her nostril is so harsh and unappealing, and the darkness on her close shoulder is a little too gray - could be more saturated. Also the shoulder/chest area in general could use some shaping for more appealing lines.

hope these comments can help.
--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM

The anatomy of the collar bones (clavicles) looks weird and disconnected from the arm. Those bones should have an s curve and look like they are going towards the arm bone (humerus). The bright highlight next to the neck on the model's right side (our left) distorts the anatomy of that region and makes it appear as though part of the neck is missing. Maybe try taking the same pose as the model and looking in the mirror to get a better idea of the anatomy of that region?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 AM

Thanks u for your opinion, really valueable. Caravaggio, nothing was changed in relation to collar bones / shoulders, what u see is as was captured.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Well alright then, sorry. To me her collar bones still look strange, but that's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM

The first thing I see is the hair curls over her ear. They look like they're partially brushed out. They need weight to separate from the background.

I agree with Shift. The shape/weight of the lower half needs some love. Give this area a *slight* bit of contrast and saturation to even out the blotchy shadowing, and also enhance the skin tones to match her face. She's got bright tones in her facial skin color, but her body is dull and murky.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 AM

This is a difficult one. The overall contrast is pushed to a somewhat high point, but aside from the background it lacks a lot of gradation. The highlights in the skin look a bit saturated and magenta to me, and they're quite broad. There isn't much of a transition showing off the contours of the face. The background seems to further emphasize this as it has a very smooth gradient. I don't really like the hair styling, but it would be difficult to fix. The pose isn't helping either. The hunched in shoulders pushes her clavicles forward. This is just my opinion, but I like to see a flow with skin. Typically the brightest highlights shouldn't have so much color. They are really just surface reflections. Much of the color of skin is picked up by light passing through epidermal and subcutaneous levels where parts of it are absorbed by the different layers of skin as the light partially refracts through multiples surfaces. When I see it like this, it just looks off to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM

Thank you all for an opinion, quite valuable. Maybe the images wasn't great at the start, as make up wasn't great on the girl (she had fairly bit of reflections). Will have a look into this next time. thanks !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM

I'm not sure where you guys stand on this, but this is just my personal taste, I think it could use a bit work on the eyes. Give them that pop, but if that's not what you were going for, I think this is really good and clean! Guess it really depends on what feel and look you were aiming for. Keep it up, for sure!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques