RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Critiques (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/critiques/)
-   -   making me crazy! (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/critiques/36500-making-me-crazy.html)

jd3wolfe 01-03-2013 07:18 PM

making me crazy!

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying some new techniques for retouching my sister's faded '70 wedding pictures. I would value your opinion on the colors, contrast, tone. Sometimes I think I am slightly colorblind. I haven't done any of the clean up yet but I did sharpen it. Also, notice that if I try to straighten the lines around the picture in the background the lines of the steps are crooked. How did that happen?
Thank you for your response.

DarkJamie 01-04-2013 04:38 AM

Re: making me crazy!

1 Attachment(s)
Looks a bit overdone and unnatural. Try something like this. Duplicating your original image layer and changing the modes, I've kept the vintage look, while enhancing the overall tone. Notice on the hard light layer, I brushed in a mask to keep the texture of the dress. This edit took all of 5 minutes using layer modes. Something very useful for bringing back tone to faded photos.

For the curves adjustment, I just moved the shadow and highlight to bring back in those tones.

I used Selective Color to target the whites to cool them off a bit.

Hue and Saturation to bring down the reds that were flashing from the layer stacking.

And if this is not enough for your taste, you can take it further however you like. Perhaps spot editing for flesh tones.

Juergen D 01-04-2013 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A very light skew will take care of all horizontal and vertical lines.

Juergen

KTG 01-04-2013 10:41 AM

A simple fix is to open a Levels Adjustment Layer. In the dialog box you will see a RGB bar. Click on it. Select Red. Move the black triangle at the bottom of the histogram to the right; just up to the edge of the histogram. On the right, select the white triangle and pull it to the left, to the edge of the right side of the histogram.

Do this also for Green and Blue. Adjust colors with Hue and Saturation, Selective Color etc.

K

DarkJamie 01-04-2013 12:41 PM

What KTG said is exactly what I did. You can see each color curve in the image I posted.

jd3wolfe 01-04-2013 07:13 PM

Thanks so much for suggestions. Using Skew worked great, should have thought of that. What I did at first was basically what KTG & DarkJamie suggested. I read from a Scott Kelby tip to use the eyedroppers in the Curves Adjustment. First, he gave values for R,G,B. Then I used Threshold Layers to find the best color samples. But, I did not use Hue & Saturation and have never used Selective Color. Your screen shots were great DarkJamie and very helpful. I still have a lot to learn!