Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Real Estate Image - really need some advice!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Re: Real Estate Image - really need some advice!

Originally Posted by modelsfret View Post
Really great post thanks ! I wasn't the photographer just Retoucher , and was supplied jpgs . Just one of those jobs . The highlights were blown in parts even in the darkest shot . So not sure there is much I can do there .
Okay that makes more sense. Were you hired to do this? If so you'll want to address that masking and understand any other requests from the client. They likely have an end result in mind. It wasn't shot very well. In fact I've seen building contractors take better pictures. That makes it harder to fix, but there's still a lot you can do. Also if you were hired on it, is it really wise to post it on an internet forum?

Originally Posted by modelsfret View Post
i manually painted in bits from each exposure with layer mask and soft brush. is hdr a better option? i had trouble getting it to look natural
HDR doesn't have to mean cartoony. The point was the same. You need a greater range of exposures if you don't want so many portions that are so excessively bright. You may also want to fix some of those masking errors. It doesn't have to be solved solely by one mask. You could get the shape you want and repaint things like edges. I usually focus on the shape more than anything, as I can always fix details.

Last edited by kav; 02-08-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM

The 1st question I have for you is: Were the images you have taken with a tripod, so that they are closely or perfectly aligned or were they shot handheld and considerably misaligned. If they are aligned or reasonably closely aligned then you have an opportunity to produce a good to excellent result using HDR s/w as long as you use settings to render realistic results. If you customer can provide you with RAW files and they are closely aligned, you can recover a lot of data which was clipped by converting the images to jpg. The highlights might be fully recoverable from the RAW files.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM

I'd double check the vertical alignment of the buildings, especially under the tower block and the balconies have all sorts of contradictory angles which are jarring to the eye. If nothing else, sort those details out. It all looks do-able though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques