RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Real Estate Image - really need some advice!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 AM

Smile Real Estate Image - really need some advice!

Hi doing a real estate image for a client. really would love some advice! have done sky replacement and combined exposure from 5 images.

Last edited by modelsfret; 02-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 AM

Re: Real Estate Image - really need some advice!

IMHO exposure and colors are ok.
You should remove dirt from right top corner (just above the tree).
Besides left side of the image (tree and this black building) is blured (or is it on purpose?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 AM

I think the sky looks good, a good dusky colour, along side the general warm ambient lighting.
The image needs a good cleaning up. Concrete staining etc. Dependent on your clients budget and expectations.
If possible I would add apartment lights to the LHS tower in darkness to help balance the whole image. Slightly lighten that whole area.
There is quite a lot of lens distortion as well as drop of at the edges of the lens you were using, however I might be mistaken and the noise might be due to the 5 exposures.

There appears to be no straight lines in the image.
I don't remember the name of the PS plug-in that can replicate the effects of a good rectilinear lens or you could have a go with your ruler and perspective tools in PS. I think that will help to correct the heavy forground and help to lead the eye into the the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Working in PhotoShop CS6, I did a light levels adjustment and then the lens correction filter. I cropped both pictures each in a different way and added a slight vinette. I think straightening the buildings shows them off better. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realestate 2.jpg (68.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg realestate 3.jpg (76.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM

I would work with transform tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realestate_chillin.jpg (166.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM

i really like how youve done chillin. can you explain briefly how you did it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Patron

The image has a lot of optical distortion and many of the lights are two bright.
One approach you might try would be to rotate your Camera to Portrait orientation (vertical) and mounted on a tripod, take a bracketed set of shots (3 or 5), pan the camera and take 1 or more bracketed set until you have panned the whole property. Use HDR s/w to merge each bracketed set and then stitch the results together.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 PM

i manually painted in bits from each exposure with layer mask and soft brush. is hdr a better option? i had trouble getting it to look natural
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
The image has a lot of optical distortion and many of the lights are two bright.
One approach you might try would be to rotate your Camera to Portrait orientation (vertical) and mounted on a tripod, take a bracketed set of shots (3 or 5), pan the camera and take 1 or more bracketed set until you have panned the whole property. Use HDR s/w to merge each bracketed set and then stitch the results together.
Cheers, Murray
^^This is the best response in the thread, although you'd need to overlap them quite a lot, even with a pano head. That lens distorts quite a lot. With enough resolution they could probably be re-projected to fix some of that convergence. It's also important to clear up some of that edge distortion. There are masking errors all along the skyline. It's kind of hard in some parts, then in others you have a white patch behind the trees on the left, missing parts on the palm trees, and smudgy parts on the far right. A client would probably want the ground cleaned up, and possibly some of the wear on the concrete foreground portions if this is to advertise the building. I'm not sure what time it's supposed to be in the image. It looks like twilight is implied but not quite evening. For something like that more exposures would be normal to keep the lights from blowing out, although it may not be as simple as just pasting them in. I'm not sure what to think about a couple lit offices in the building with a lot of dark ones. If it was the other way around I'd just fill in the dark ones by using different parts to build lit offices everywhere. The trees definitely have a flat look. Some feel too yellow to me due to the influence of he artificial lighting, and I'd say it could use some shading to increase the feeling of depth. Ideally it would be shot to include the tops of those buildings and in a way where convergence could be minimized. All I know is this looks like a tough one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Really great post thanks ! I wasn't the photographer just Retoucher , and was supplied jpgs . Just one of those jobs . The highlights were blown in parts even in the darkest shot . So not sure there is much I can do there .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques