Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

I need your opinion

Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Re: I need your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
Having said all that, I would encourage you to continue practicing. Heck, we all started somewhere and with similar ideas in mind.
Take what is said in this thread with a grain of salt and distill it to the cues and advice that will help you achieve the retouching results you are pursuing.
...and post it here.
Blah I like your explanation better. I think it irks me slightly when someone puts forth work in any area involving creativity that merely copies something else from start to finish. I think if I was going to suggest practicing one thing at the very beginning, it would be masking. Being able to do that with some precision helps out quite a lot at the technical level with control. Other than that I think the priority should be on building up some artistic sense. I should have added in the initial one that some reference material would benefit the OP, but not just looking at retouched images. If the primary subject is people, looking at and learning to recognize facial structures would teach him quite a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I think if I was going to suggest practising one thing at the very beginning, it would be masking. Being able to do that with some precision helps out quite a lot at the technical level with control.
Do learn masking, but try to nail down not just the expected masking routines, but get down and dirty with apply image and calculations, learn how to mask based on luminosity and hue. The amount of time a good mask can save and the work it also saves makes it worthwhile. It also helps in other areas of routine PS work too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
Do learn masking, but try to nail down not just the expected masking routines, but get down and dirty with apply image and calculations, learn how to mask based on luminosity and hue. The amount of time a good mask can save and the work it also saves makes it worthwhile. It also helps in other areas of routine PS work too.
I was thinking more along the lines of painted masking work. There are two reasons. One is that he will build up a steady hand allowing work to be accomplished without zooming past 100%, which really helps with productivity. The other thing is that it encourages experimentation when you can separate an image into components. I wanted to suggest something that would encourage the OP to break away from just copying what he saw on a video, because it's likely that much of that content impeded his progress as opposed to contributing to it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques