RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

I need your opinion

Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM

I need your opinion

Hi, I have been learning retouching technics (like frequency separation or dodge and burn) for the last months and wanna hear your opinion about 2 images I have retouched the last week. Mainly I have been learning with internet tutorials.
I hope you can help me. Please be honest and I am sure I can learn with your comments and crictics. Thanks in advance.
Photo 1 after http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/...ps88a47360.jpg
Photo 1 before
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/...psf4f2f65d.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Re: I need your opinion

Photo 2 after http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/...ps75d11c6c.jpg
Photo 2 before http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/...psa97fdca0.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM

I would say-work on color correction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample1_before_zpsf4f2f6Pechio.jpg (166.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Thank you chillin

I think it could be better if I reduce the tan layer opacity. Do you think so?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 AM

I think your learning process in going in right way and very good job in doing that retouching. I am appreciating you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 AM

Hi igiturf. It seems like you are willing to use the right techniques to further your aims, I would now concentrate on mastering them.

More d&b is needed to even out the blotchy skin tones that you have introduced by the cloning/healing process. There is also the issue of a slight magenta hue to the skin, I'm not confident this is the right tone for the image.

If you want the PSD you are more than welcome to it for learning purposes, some of my colour layers are a little messy though!

I might add that beware of over retouching images of men especially, the character of the person with some flaws should shine through. The image I posted could be scaled back by a mask to lessen some of the retouching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample2---web.jpg (98.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Mike Needham; 05-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2014, 04:53 AM

I do appreciate your try and I guess its pretty good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Hi igiturf
Since some comments were based on color correction, there is an underlying assumption that you are using a color managed workflow part of which is having a calibrated and profiled monitor. Otherwise, the colors others will see on their monitor will not match what you see on yours. So I suggest if you have not done so is to to the calibration/profiling process and best to use a solution from Xrite or Datacolor as I have found adjustments by eye to yield high variability in resulting accuracy. Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM

The things I see wrong here aren't the important point. What I see is the work of someone who copied things they saw on a youtube video of someone adjusting photos in photoshop. There is absolutely no regard for the choices made, and I don't see any real confidence in the actions. For example you pushed the girl's hair down yet it's not clear why. It still doesn't form a clean line. You also painted something to look like higher cheekbones, yet the way it's done doesn't work at all, and I don't think it's even a good idea. The color correction on the guy was obviously that silly set layer to softlight and desaturate, which was already tired and overdone ten years ago. My only advice here is to rethink what you believe would improve upon the base image, and what you are trying to convey to the potential audience of that image. Beyond that if you're trying to adjust facial structures, you should really have some idea what they look like. Otherwise just avoid doing so. It's far better to make progress toward mastering something conceptually rather than repeat what you saw others do. If you really do need to learn by repetition, you will at least need better reference material.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM

I agree with klev's remarks, igiturf.

It's alright to begin learning retouching through online tutorials and sites such as RetouchPro; mimicking the methods gets you familiarized with the tools that will provide the respective effects, alterations, and changes you wish to apply.

But you ultimately need to incorporate those techniques so that they become yours - and in doing so you find that you can't just rely on applying an effect and expect it to be acceptable.
You have to have an idea/plan/intent/purpose/look/style/theme/expression/emotion in mind when you start a retouch project.

Some will be simple and straightforward - those will be accomplished with only a little forethought.
More complex images will require far more planning; you will need to have a conscious approach as to why you are doing something, and what the expected result should be, then strive to accomplish that.

Like anything worthwhile, it will not be a quick click-a-plugin-and-voila solution. If you try to do that the result will be obvious.

Having said all that, I would encourage you to continue practicing. Heck, we all started somewhere and with similar ideas in mind.
Take what is said in this thread with a grain of salt and distill it to the cues and advice that will help you achieve the retouching results you are pursuing.
...and post it here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques