RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Critiques (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/critiques/)
-   -   Fashion retouching critique (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/critiques/39587-fashion-retouching-critique.html)

nspadoni 05-29-2017 07:19 PM

Fashion retouching critique

Hey guys! It's my first post in here and I'd love to get some reviews, be it superficial or detailed, regarding a recent fashion retouching I did. I'm posting a few examples with before and after side by side.

My biggest problem when retouching is that I often feel I'm not quite sure what should I be retouching -- apart from my technical limitations, of course.

I've been using mostly Frequency Separation (with High Pass filter, not Apply Image) for the skin and I haven't been really working on the clothes.

Thank you all :)

http://imgur.com/a/Wa7Ji

(Online Imgur album, left is after, right is before)

klev 05-30-2017 01:43 AM

Re: Fashion retouching critique

Your work needs some sense of purpose. I don't see any really appreciable difference between before and after versions. The clothing doesn't look any better. The eyes don't stand out more or less in one than the other. The backgrounds are kind of blah in both cases. It's like you have no idea what to actually do with the image.

Frequency separation is neither here nor there. It's unimportant. Have you thought about the content of the images?

nspadoni 05-30-2017 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klev (Post 333174)
Your work needs some sense of purpose. I don't see any really appreciable difference between before and after versions. The clothing doesn't look any better. The eyes don't stand out more or less in one than the other. The backgrounds are kind of blah in both cases. It's like you have no idea what to actually do with the image.

Frequency separation is neither here nor there. It's unimportant. Have you thought about the content of the images?

Thanks for taking you time to review this, klev.

So yeah, I guess I see what you mean. I actually made a mistake, because I just posted the before and after skin retouching, and not the complete before and after. I replaced the images for a more precise appreciation.

That said, I was actually pretty happy with what I had in camera so the editing here was anyway quite light. The fashion designer had this concept of retelling his old terryfing childhood stories in this setting which should work like an abandoned school. The model is one of the monsters of these stories. So I desaturated all colors and and further desaturated and changed hues for specific colors because I really didn't want the graffiti colors to pop.

I didn't understand the comment about frequency separation: you mean it's unimportant, as in: it's unimportant in this case because it's barely noticeable etc.?

klev 05-30-2017 04:02 AM

The updated images are different. I still don't see much intent. Retouching should follow your goals for the image(s). The mention of frequency separation isn't very meaningful, because there are different ways to do things and no one really cares unless there are negative side effects to your choice of methods. I preferred simple and controllable where possible.

On the technical side, the reds went pretty saturated in places, which would be difficult to reproduce. I see signs of potential clipping. The backgrounds are still not helping the overall images. I'm not drawn to eyes or facial features. The clothing still doesn't show much detail on the darker pieces.

I'm curious about your intentions while shooting this. To me the setting doesn't go with the clothing, so I would have de-emphasized them as much as possible in post. I also don't see a lot of detail in the clothing. I don't feel like I know much about the garments or how they are meant to be worn.

nspadoni 05-30-2017 07:45 AM

klev,

The full selection actually has 7 different looks to which I delivered 36 photos to the client, so some of your questions regarding the show of clothes could maybe be satisfied in the full set.

I'm very interested in your comments in general, and would like to ask you a few things:

1. Reds: are you saying they're sometimes over saturated only by eye or are there any tools one could use to "scientifically" measure that (e.g. histograms etc.)?

2. Subject emphasis: I did actually DnB eyes and eyebrows bringing them up, and did the saturation/hue alterations on the background as I said. How would you suggest a further emphasis on the eyes/de-emphasis on the setting to be achieved in post?

3. The set will be accompanied by a studio-shot look book so I was free to use leave more shadows and play around a little bit with colors.

I'd love to tell you a bit more about my intentions but I'm kinda in a hurry right now! But if you're still interested I'd be happy to tell you about it later.

Thank you!

skoobey 05-30-2017 05:26 PM

Skin is not retouched consistently between the images(and he reminds me of Lurch from Adams family with those forehead wrinkles, if something is that distracting, then it should be made less so). Some have scars and pimples that other images are missing. Lack of unified color palette is distracting. It is a set, but it doesn't quite look intentional enough.

Try removing everything that is distracting and establishing a unified color palette.

flowbox 06-03-2017 04:15 PM

I think the "before" images has better skin tones than the after
Maybe you can look for some Calvin Hollywood tutorials

nspadoni 06-04-2017 07:45 PM

Thanks, guys.